1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone here only play passive basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkybass, May 11, 2011.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    For the past few years i've only played active basses. Lately I've really been missing the sound of a good passive p bass thump. I had an amstd p bass a few years ago, but sold it. I've also been playing 5 strings lately, but am starting to think I'm more of a 4 string guy. I might sell one of my 5 strings and get a couple p basses, one with flats, and one with rounds.

2. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Yep...... Im a pretty passive guy.. Thats all I own. Im very happy with that.

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I have a Lakland DJ5 RW (modded for a PJ setup) and I have another "regular" maple board DJ5 and a RW JO5 coming in this week. All of them are passive!

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    same here.

5. Lambic

Lambic Squeaky Pedals McGee

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)
    2 Fender MIA Standard J (one fretted, one fretless), 1 Squier CV 50's Precision, 1 Squier VM Jaguar... yup, all passive. It's mainly the battery thing and the added complexity (equilizing) that put me off: I like to keep it simple.:D

6. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    On this thread, I said the following:

And that's basically how I've always felt. Passives just sound the way a bass ought to sound, to my ears, and I enjoy not futzing around with batteries and myriad on-board EQ options.

Another misconception is that actives are more "powerful" and you should play them if you want heavier tone. That's unnecessary, IMO.

Oh, and I'm also considering switching to a short-scale strung with flats, which would be the logical extension of my existing tastes so I'm only going... "passiver" (not a word and I don't care :D )

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I haven't used an active bass in quite a while, but I do have a couple.

8. MJT

MJT

Feb 24, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    +1+1

9. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    The thing I've noticed with my active basses in a band setting is the sound very hot in the mix, and I get a metallic type sound. The singer in the band I just joined said at practice last actually asked if I could bring a different bass. He didn't like the metallic sound either. The bass and amp was set flat. I've got a lead on a 09 amstd p that's mint. I'll probably pull the trigger.

10. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I had my share of active basses in the past but have been passive-only for quite some time. I try to keep it simple and get all the tone I want without effects or active basses.

11. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    All passive here, except for my ABGs.

12. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    35-40 basses in the herd all passive.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Only one of my basses can be active, but I play it in passive mode. Batteries are evil :)

14. All I ever played and now own have been passive. Never tried an active bass, so I really don't know if I would or wouldn't like it. I would not be averse to trying one at least. But, for the moment I'm quite happy with passive. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

15. PatQ

PatQ

May 11, 2011
    Siegburg, Germany
    I've been in that situation just a few weeks ago :) I've played active 5-string basses for years, but always that they were lacking some soul in their sound. And to be honest, I really never used the active electronics.

And with my recent switch to a new band (which plays in drop c) I took the chance to get back to 4 strings. There is just no use for a fifth string in that band.

So, I bought the bass I aaaaalways loved so much - a Gibson Thunderbird.

I'm going to sell my last active 5-string these days and get a decent backup bass for my Tbird, thinking about a Fender Precision.

16. jetbike

jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
    Never liked active. Battery anxiety. Just one more variable to go wrong.

17. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Don't care for active anything. I'm a plug-and-play caveman. I've owned and played actives or had onboard active EQ. Don't need it, don't like it. Heck, the only effect I ever really use is a fuzz, and that's rare for me.

Still, lots of active players whose playing and tone I dig. Lots of people can do great things with active electronics, or want a wider palette. They just aren't my thang.

18. All my basses are passive. A tone knob and/or a three-way switch is more than enough options for me. Although, I do have an active bass en route to me right now. I should know better.

19. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    all passive for me. active is too complicated for me lol

20. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    Battery changing sucks....and expensive
    74 buttons and knobs that 'change your mid 803-809 k frequency' when I have no clue what that is and drains practice and rehearsal time...