1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone know what this bass is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BenWhoPlaysBass, Oct 11, 2013.

1. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    So my friend has this bass. Or at least, I think it's a bass. It was found in one of his relative's closets and we have no idea where it came from. Here's the rundown: It's a VERY small bass with possibly the ugliest finish known to man. Really basic, body is probably plywood, and no markings other than a serial number 225 and a model number DEB60 (for this reason we affectionately named it "Debbie"). Here's the thing: It's a 25.5" scale. So even shorter than short scale. To me, it feels like a cheapo novelty kinda thing but I'm curious just to see if anyone has seen one like it. It actually sounds sorta decent. Pic attached of me playing it and him holding it.

Attached Files:

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Might help to see the headstock

3. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    My guess is that it started out life as an Ibanez GAX guitar, then someone did some work on it to make it into a bass.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  4. onefallinghope

onefallinghope

Nov 25, 2012
    Groton, CT
    Reminds me of a late 80's washburn

5. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    Yeah, sorry. The headstock is shaped like a diamond but with the point flattened out. I couldn't go to his house today to get proper pictures, I just uploaded the ones on my phone.

6. It's an Ibanez Gio Series with goofy paint

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Negative. Not even close. (I sold a metric ton of Gio basses when I worked at a dealer and that is not one.)

Also, either the player is humongous, or that bass is TINY. Of course, I can't speak to the scale length because we haven't seen the entire neck. But the body is very small, like not a full-size bass small.

8. Modded POS bass or perhaps guitar

Edit: No offense, I am not above playing a POS myself

9. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I have a mid-80's Washburn Force II electric, the body is similar but more rounded.

10. Early-to-mid-'80s style of finish...

11. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I think the finish is cool! But yeah, not nearly enough pics to identify make and model. Front and back of headstock would help. The size of the body is really irrelevant. I had a curt curbow 5 string that was similarly small.

12. flynndsx

flynndsx

Oct 11, 2013
    It's an Ibanez Gio Series with goofy paint[​IMG]

13. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Is it me or does there appear to be binding around the fretboard? That would rule out Ibanez right away. No knobs either.. hmmm

14. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    It did have knobs but the pots went out so my buddy wired the pickup to the jack so it'd still make sound. I'll try and get a pic of the headstock up later tonight. And btw, I'm not that big, two fingers. lol It's a REALLY tiny instrument.

15. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    How about an Axl Badwater "distressed" bass?

Just guessin'!

16. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    Okay, so it's a day or two late but here's the full body and headstock of the bass. Like I said, it's unlike anything I've ever seen.
    (EDIT: There's also no markings on the back of the headstock, it's just the same ugly finish)

Attached Files:

17. Really? Cuz I owned one just like (Save the paint job) that & there's another that's been refin'd in the rattle can club. ;)

18. Andy Sivyer

Andy Sivyer

Sep 11, 2013
    kent england
    I think its a kids bass hence the strat guitar scale length. Have seen something like it before about 25 years ago. Would think it might be Korean made. Or could be a guitar converted into a bass. But the bridge is same as I had on a Encore Korean made bass (precision copy) when I was 14 (28 years ago)

19. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The headstock looks very similar to a Vantage or Westone.

20. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    That's exactly what I thought.
    Vantage Avenger bass maybe.