Does anyone play an EUB sitting on a stool?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Dave Whitla, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    I'm a double bass player looking to possibly get an EUB, but I don't like the feel of pretty much every one I've ever tried:meh:

Alter Ego make one that looks promising, in that it has a right rib like a double bass that looks like you could have it against your body like a double bass. This would be particularly important for sitting on a stool, otherwise you'd have to hold the EUB away from your body or use one of those stand thingys...

Any thoughts?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I like the Eminence for when the weather or stage conditions are bad for
    my old Tyrolean. I do use the stool with the Eminence for those really
    long long long gigs or rehearsals. :cool:

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've played my Azola on a stool at times, worked fine. I've also played it sitting in a regular chair, with the endpin just barely extended. Yeah, I probably looked goofy, but I was damn comfy.

4. I sit on a stool.
    A drummer's throne in fact.
    I recently bought this Gibraltar model 6608 throne:

6608_lg.jpg

I like it much better than the cheap Network throne I was using since a decade.

This model is an economical one, but there have better ones.

5. bear

bear

Dec 14, 2004
    I have severe arthritis in my lower body, and I play my NS on a stool always. Not a lot of choice in the matter.

6. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    Thanks for the input guys. I looked at the Emminence and Azola EUB's and somehow the shape just doesn't work for me feel-wise. Maybe I'd get used to it after a while, but I'm looking for something more DB-like. I may have found it this morning- looking through the EUB sticky I came across this Bassix EUB that may just be the job.

Cool stool Francois. (that's not a Habs sticker on the bottom, is it?) I have one that is kind of similar, but has an optional footrest, made by Konig & Meyer. Very comfortable, but a bit creaky sometimes.
    www.k-m.de/Products.3+M53e53202e02.0.html

7. No, that's the Gibraltar sticker.
    The pic is direct from their website, not mine! :)

8. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I have a Palatino VE500 EUB, and use a drum set cymbal stand attached to the back so it stands on it's own and then I sit on a stool! Very comfortable!

9. I have a stool that Lemar music sells that is adjustable. I use it from guitat Ukulele and bass it's great and I can keep the leg out on the bass when I sit.

10. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I did a recent pit orchestra thing where I played my BugBass, first on a chair with the endpin barely out. Then on a stool short enough to rest my feet on the floor if I sat toward the front.

Works in either case, but my lower back gets sore after sitting through a whole show on a stool.

11. EggyToast

EggyToast

Jan 21, 2006
    Baltimore
    I use a stool after my teacher recommended it. I was walking down the "shopping district" in my part of the city, and went by a furniture consignment store. Out front they had a counter-height stool for 12 bucks, solid oak. Basic, but it worked.

Took it home, measured out my inseam and cut the stool's feel to be at 'just the right height.' Sanded them to make 'em level, and now I have a perfect stool.

The catch, of course, is to have one that allows you to sit while keeping one foot on the ground firmly. I personally like the wood stool design because the cross beams provide a good spot for the left leg to support the bass. I only own an EUB since I'm pretty much a newbie. My teacher extolled the virtues of bending at the hips while playing, and that has definitely saved my back on the longer practice sessions. Plus, a stool that is inseam height makes it very easy to get up and stand, shift, take a bow after a song, or whatever, and sit back down without much thought.

But yeah, after I modified the wood stool to work, it's very comfortable and I use it all the time.

12. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    Thanks guys. I already have a very comfortable stool at a good height. I sit fairly low (stool about 22-24") but the stool is adjustable anyway.

Mainly I was wondering about EUB's that have physical reference points so that you can play it sitting (or standing, for that matter) and it would feel somewhat like a double bass. I decided that I didn't want an EUB that had one of those arm thingys or a stand mount. I think I found what I was looking for, with a little help from another thread!

If you're curious, check out http://www.bassix.net

13. Jeremy Foster

Jeremy Foster

Feb 14, 2006
    I love to play my Palatino sitting on any standard chair, without using the spike at all. It allows me to have both feet firmly on the ground, with the bass resting against my left leg. If the floor is slippery I can easily anchor the bass with my right foot. I can even rest my right forearm on my right knee which lets my reight hand fall exactly into a position where I want it to be. "Serious" players may frown upon that position, but it's absolutely natural and comfortable to me. On the other hand, bowing is a problem ...

--
    Jeremy

14. I've been playing a NS WAV4 since January and have just bought a stool from Thomann (http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_14052_stehhilfe.htm) very comfortable and strong, and a pretty good price too at about £85 inc. pp

15. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I prefer sitting down
    No problem wirh my Azola Bug II.

16. bass-me-up

bass-me-up

Jun 22, 2006
    Germany
    i play a yamaha slb-200 with knee rest and body extension sitting on a K&M stool and that works just fine.

i used to have problems with the bass slipping away on the floor but after i made my own angled endpin this problem is solved, too.

cheers

17. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    For several years I played an Azola Bugbass mounted on a tripod stand with a drum hardware type ball joint that allowed fine tuning the position. That system worked very well and I played sitting about 80% of the time with it. With other EUBs without the tripod I've had the problem of breaking at the wrist way too much as the bass fell into me and found them very uncomfortable to sit with. Keeping an EUB the same distance from your body that an upright naturally would due to it's physical depth can be very difficult but if you don't do that all kinds of technical problems arise very quickly. And in my experience while shoulder simulators on an EUB do help they never add the almost perfect depth and balance that an acoustic has. Compared to many other instruments the acoustic upright bass is a very easy instrument to play mechanically and my feelings on positioning of an EUB are that simulating as closely as you can the position of an acoustic bass will make it much easier to play....especially if you've spent years getting yer chops together on the big bass.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021