1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does carbon fiber endpin need special screw?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by fdeck, Nov 6, 2017.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If I replace a steel endpin with CF of the same diameter, will the screw damage the CF?

This is actually for a cello but I have to assume the technical issue is the same.

2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Just a guess, but I would think it easily could. My CF endpin is secured by a clamp, not a single point screw.

3. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    Yes. The normal screw will crush a CF endpin. Carbon fibre doesn't deal well with point loads. I'd advise changing the whole endpin unit for a collet type that clamps around the pin, applying even pressure

4. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I have a carbon fiber end pin with a set screw that goes into it, to hold it in position. It does leave a kind of indentation in the carbon fiber. But so far, it hasn't damaged the endpin and I've used it for a lot of gigs since I bought it on December 31, 2016.

One thing I've been meaning to tell TalkBass is that I wanted to make the bass stand at exactly the same height every time I set it up. And stay there too. In the beginning, the set screw that holds the end pin in place would slip and the bass would get lower and lower and lower as I performed.

To this end, I put a shaft collar around the endpin at the position the end pin should be for the correct playing height. The shaft collar acts as a "depth stop" when it hits the female receptacle for the endpin on the bass itself. The shaft collar is atttached "semi permanently" to the endpin, meaning I never change the position of the shaft collar, ever, even though it is adjustable if I want it to be. And its never slipped (knock wood).

Here is what the shaft collar looks like. It doesn't appear to damage the end pin either.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0S32W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The shaft collar/depth stop uses a set screw to hold it in position on the end pin. This shaft collar has stayed in position, without any apparent damage to the endpin, for at least six months now. This also takes pressure off the set screw that attaches the endpin to the bass because the shaft color handles all the downard presssure on the end pin, and the set screw from the bass itself only keeps the end pin from falling out when I lift up the bass. No more end pin slipping!

It means I have to stow my end pin in my bow sleeve in my upright bass case during transport. This is because the depth stop, in doing its job, won't recede into the body of the bass during transport. But that is fine since at this time, I still don't bow much (the next frontier).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  5. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    I'm not a huge fan of CF for endpins, myself. They don't feel rigid enough for me, I VASTLY prefer my Ben Bastin fixed endpins. I have two different lengths, one for standing one for sitting, in walnut. Beautifully made and not too expensive.

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Do you feel and hear a difference with them versus a steel pin? My current end pin has been frustrating me for a couple of reasons, and I've been considering making a change to something different.

7. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    I've convinced myself I can feel a difference, but honestly can't be sure I can hear anything. Most of my playing is done in orchestras and other ensembles, so I wouldn't necessarily expect to hear a difference. Don't buy one expecting it to transform your bass, you'll be disappointed. There are very good non-acoustic reasons to have them. I love the security and lack of fuss, and they look great.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I think if I have to replace the endpin in order to use a CF rod, that kills the project. The existing endpin is some oddball thing with a very small taper, so I'd have to ream out the instrument -- too much work for something of uncertain sonic value.

@PauFerro, I had a similar problem with the shaft on the drum throne that I use as my bass stool. Tightening the screw isn't enough. There was an additional shaft collar that finally broke -- it was just die-cast. So I wrapped a piece of bike innertube around the shaft and clamped it down with a stainless hose clamp. It's solid as a rock, and would not damage a CF endpin.

9. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I'd use this instead. Better hold and less chance of damage. Also comes in plastic if weight matters.
    3357K12p1-d03c-digital-land_635949550190000000.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  10. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I like @robobass 's shaft collar better than mine as it grips the entire endpin and doesn't stick into it. Shame I couldn't ine one at the time I was looking for one.