1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Fender or anybody make this - Precision body & pickup with Jazz Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tildeslash, Jan 21, 2013.

1. tildeslash

tildeslash

Nov 9, 2012
    If they do what is it called?
    I like P pickups more than J.
    But I like the J neck more than P.

2. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    Just buy a P bass body and J bass neck. Should work nicely!!!

3. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    The boutique makers can do that for you, Sadowsky, Lull, but it will cost. Or, you can buy a couple of Squiers and do a neck swap.

4. Back in the day ('70s) that was called an "A" neck.

You might get lucky in finding an old '70s bass, but it will more than likely be at the same cost/if not more than, a brand new Fender.

You could just get a p+j and solo the P pick up. I had an SX that I did this with.

Another option is get the Pbass body (ebay/warmoth/mighty mite) and put a Jazz neck on it (ebay/warmoth/mighty mite).

Lakland also offers the 4464 (aka Duck Dunn) that has the Jazz neck and P bass pickup. If you were looking at other brands.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Here they are

Precision Special, an active deluxe version with three band equalizer american serie split coil pickup and Ceramic Noiseless bridge pickup

Duff McKagan's Precision, a passive "treble/bass expander" circuit bass with same split and a Seymour Duncan HotStack at the bridge

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
  7. Doesn't the Mark Hoppus have a J neck? I think the most legit option would be a Duck Dunn from Lakland.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Same rosewood fingerboard, Precision neck is coupled by a Seymour Duncan SPB3 Quarter Pound split pickup, alone and reversed on Mark Hoppus Jazz, standard placed and coupled by a Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Jazz pickup at the bridge on former Frank Bello Jazz (finally, both are stringthru bridged)

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For awhile around 2000, Fender made the California P-bass, which had P body, J neck, and P/J pickups with passive electronics. These pop up used every so often.

G&L's "P" basses, the SB-1 and SB-2 (P/J, no tone control), also have P-like bodies and J necks. My SB-2 is, for now, my only "P" bass, and by far my favorite of the six I've owned, largely because the neck is phenomenal. I would also like a more vintage voiced P-bass, and a factory American Std. Fender with J neck would be perfect.

The Yamaha BB series might have J necks, but I'm not sure.

You can also think of the Precision V similarly, because the E to G spacing at the bridge is like a J-bass.

10. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Squier offered the P-bass special

To me the P-bass special, or the Fender American Deluxe, with the P body, Jazz neck, and a PJ set up is just about ideal for capturing the best of that "Fender vibe".

Here's my 2009 model Squier in the satin finished Wine Red that I picked up "Guitar Center New" (i.e. the ding in the finish) for around $250. It's now equipped with flats thanks to TB chats, and between the silky smooth body and easy playing neck this bass is great for noodling.

Here's an old picture from the day I brought her home. Updates from this pic were removing the plastic sheet from the picguard, adding flats, and putting a power conditioner in the rack.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

11. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Since you're open to non-Fenders, a Peavey Fury is an ultra-high value option. US-made and has a great sounding stock pickup.

12. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Lakland Skyline 44-64 Custom

P bass with J neck

13. Why does this come up every few days? Precisions with Jazz necks are REALLY common.

14. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Precision Specials have been made that way for years! Great feel and tone.
    Here is mine
    Picture025.jpg

15. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

Apr 29, 2009
    the mim deluxe special has a thin neck: mY mim (2002?) has a much thinner neck than the roadworn.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Because it is too much trouble to use the search feature, :rollno:

17. What I wanna know is, where are the jazz bodies with p/j configuration and a PRECISION neck?

18. Southside Pip

Southside Pip Inactive

Jan 22, 2013
    What many bassists want is an American made Fender Precision with an added passive J pickup at the bridge and Jazz neck.

The California Precision might be the ultimate Fender bass...

19. That's what I'd like. The MIM P bass Special feels really cheap to me. I'd like something like the current MIA Standard but with a J pickup and jazz width neck. Is that too much to ask? :)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021