Does it matter that I'm left-handed?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by AvedisdrummerA, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Does it really matter that I'm left-handed or is a right-handed bass just as easy to learn?
  2. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Generally if you are left handed a left handed bass would be easier to play, for a right handed bass is easier then a left handed one for me. Although i play an acoustic guitar with the strings upside down like you took a left handed guitar and played it like it was right handed. But I would say a left handed would be better for you.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    No, that is not true. I am a lefty, and I play righty basses. As do MANY MANY MANY MANY others. There are many reasons for this.

1) More selection of basses
    2) Many of the basses are cheaper than their lefty counterpart
    3) I think the added dexterity in the fretting hand is a bonus
    4) You don't look so out of place when playing on stage ;)

Many lefthanded bassists play righthanded instruments. Try them both. Whichever is more comfortable for you is the way to go. I started out learning right handed, and that is what I am good at. If I am handed a lefthanded guitar or bass, I am completely lost on it.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  5. Thank you thank you... I've played drums and percussion for 4 years and I'm pretty amidextrious with both hands so I was thinking maybe it wouldn't be too hard to play right-handed... and you're right... left-handed basses are more expensive and fewer choices. Thanks again!
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have always wondered why guitars are the way they are. It seems to me it would be better for a right handed person to use the right hand to fret. It seems that lefties playing a right handed bass would actually be at an advantage.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm a left-handed person and i play left-handed. if i had a choice, i would play righty, but i don't.

play right-handed - you will be able to walk into any music store and have great choices on basses.

8. Thanks for the insights guys...think I'm going with a right-handed... hopefully I can pick up bass and learn it fairly easy and stick with it.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Good for you! You will be a happy person!!

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I wish I could play my right handed bass left handed, that'd be a neat trick :p
  11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm a lefty and I play right-handed basses without any problems. I previously played saxophone where you need both hands so I think it's a learning / coordination issue vs. a lefty / righty issue.

All IMO of course, YMMV, offer void where prohibited by law.