1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does it still count as "bass" if...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stevie G, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G

Dec 13, 2008
    Tokyo, Japan
    …a guitarist uses an octaver (and a midi pickup) to pump out the low end on his bottom two strings? :D

Winslow and Killed_by_Death like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

When I see some groups perform on SNL there is NO bass-player, but you can certainly hear the bass.
    I remember watching Bruno Mars' band & the extra bass I was hearing was NOT coming from the bass-guitar that I could see.

3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I saw a video of James Brown with two bass players on stage. One in the front that looked liked he was playing bass and one in the back out of sight who was actually playing the bass riffs.

4. Of course it does!!
    Playing bass is an attitude born of conviction and strength.
    Any instrument will do.

Wanker_Joe, Jefenator, JRA and 2 others like this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Kanyé has been quoted as saying he could get better bass from his samples. That really riled up a lot of people!

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    The correct answer, particularly on this site, is an emphatic NO.

7. Smith357

Smith357

Jul 7, 2018
    OH
    He may play notes in the bass register, but he is doing it on a guitar/computer not on an electric bass.

8. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    I dont blame him. I've used Trilian, which is a sample-based bass softsynth and it sounds surprisingly good. If you're pumping out diy demos or on a tight production budget, its probably better than recording and processing real bass tracks.

9. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    He almost always had two bassists, and two drummers live.

They would split duties, and sometimes all be playing at once.

I worked with him once, and I couldn't quite figure out exactly what was going on.

31HZ likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Does it still count as "bass" if...
    sure, why wouldn't it?

11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Yep. Don't recall anybody having much of an issue with this fella's Taurus pedals. :thumbsup:

big_tumblr_m2ypp6pCp51rsdh3ao1_1280.png

Killing Floor, 31HZ and JRA like this.
  12. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I saw Tower Of Power once when Francis Rocco Prestia was absent. The keyboardist and guitarist somehow covered his parts. The band sounded awesome! Whatever they were doing, I would have to say it "counted as bass".
    I'm just glad it never became a thing, with more & more bands making do without a dedicated bass player as a matter of routine.
    A good organist can of course tear that lower register up with his/her feet and still have both hands free.

13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yeah, well, Kanye says a lot of crap.

14. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

This, in terms of popular/dance music, is how it got done 100 years ago, still works, and is the source of a lot of bass lines still used today...

It’s still low frequency notes, assisting the beat in a melodic fashion. So is Jimmy Smith style organ bass pedals, that works. Back in the 80’s, Mark “only needed two strings” Sandman was in a band called Treat Her Right, and employed the octave down pedal thing on guitar, and it worked for them...

Yes, it’s a bit of a convoluted way to go about things, but you hear low notes, right? People are going to do what they’re going to do. At least that first bunch was utilizing a stringed, acoustic based instrument as the source.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    JRA likes this.
  15. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Some local hot-foot band around here has 4 guitarists and 1 drummer.
    2 guitarist play lead, 2 play rhythm.
    One of the leads spends half his time re-tuning his top 2 strings to play simple bass lines.
    Looks and sounds really stupid to me ..... why don't one of you pick up a freakin' bass !!!!!!

16. "Seven Nation Army" --one of the most famous pop rock "bass lines," not played on electric bass guitar.

17. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    If it's playing the bass part, then it's bass.

18. Killed_by_Death

Reminds of a chat in the Stargate group about celebrity players.
    There was a list of them & the vast majority play guitar, so I offered that Jason Momoa would bring a bass.
    The lashback from the 'fans' was adorable. I guess they think a roomful of celebrities with guitars, & NO bass, is a good collaboration.

19. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008

The thing is with these guys .... they have to stop and wait and putz around while the guy re-tunes ...... It's literally painful to watch.
    And like I said .... with 4 guitars ......

20. Killed_by_Death

It would only be figuratively painful for me, how close do you get to them while they're doing that?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021