Does smiling make people happy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Some number of years ago, I heard a woman on NPR (best thing to listen to whilst working out) talking about how some study had concluded that when people smile, there is an increased production (or release) of endorphines (or something similar). so in effect when people smile, there is an actual physiological response, an increased sense of wellbeing. In other words, smiling makes you happy. I was interested in what other people might think of this. I find it to be true. :)
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
  4. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I remeber reading that somewhere. Maybe its true. Anyway, when you smile, it makes other people feel better at least.

And on that note - :p :) :D :D :) :p
  5. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    <%do while%> smile because you're make others happy by the smile so they smile...<% loop %>

...what came 1st, the chicken or the (chicken) egg?
  6. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Damn Vince, you beat me by less than a minute. :p
  7. Good point, but the smiling works when I'm alone.
  8. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Smiling makes you happy? No no, being happy makes you smile.

9. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah, smiling is good... laugher is better...

Here is what I wonder... When you laugh they say you ad time to your life...
    Drinking is bad for you... smoking is bad for you... they say both take time out of your life... but when I drink and smoke I laugh a lot and generally a very happy guy (not that I am not when I don’t :D) So does that equal each other out :D does that mean that drinking is safe because I laugh a lot?

:D ;) :p :smug: :cool: :ninja: :hyper: :D :) :cool: :smug: :p :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

But, just as laughter perpetuates laughter, smiling perpetuates happiness.

sometimes the best way to cheer someone up is from a candid smile, you might not have any reasons to smile what so ever, but when you do, they'll feel better, they may smile back, and then you'll feel happy that you smiled.
  11. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Sooner or later, mirrors will be outlawed because people will experience euphoria from smiling at themselves.
  12. for proof, what's the incidence level of depression amongst air-stewardesses like?

-seeing as they have to smile all the time....

13. I work in a restaurant, and through a thorough 1+ year study, this is 100% true.
  14. Smiling just for the hell of it makes me feel better. :)

But when a smile is supposed to mean 'I'm sorry' or something of that sort, it just doesn't work that way.
  15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Agreed. When I look at other people, I gauge a smile by how "genuine" it is. There have been some interesting studies on the detail features of smiles that are revealing in this regard. Also there appears to be a particular area of the brain in the superior temporal lobe that's a "smile recognition center". Of course as expected, it's wired in with the facial muscles. :)
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I heard once that it takes more effort/muscles to frown than smile. So, smiling is easier!

17. People look hilarious when they frown. It's a really awquard thing to do. I wonder if frowning makes people unhappy/angry at all......
  18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Well.... it takes 23 muscles to smile, and only 4 to extend one's middle finger.

Personally I prefer to smile. :hyper:
  19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Yep. I never understood why magazines like FHM, Maxim, etc. that are supposed to be all hot and whatnot have women looking pouty and sad. What gives?
  20. Yes, smiling does make you happy. I remember reading an article on that a while back.

On the genuine-smiling thing - I'm pretty sure you can gauge how genuine it is based upon the left hand side of the mouth. I've forgotten the specifics of it, but its due to brain specialization in the right hemisphere.

Edit: I've just found the article and the specifics are that in spontaneous but not posed smiles, the left side moves more than the right. This is mostly commonly found in right handed males or in left handed females.

If anyone wants a copy of the article, pm me and I'll email it to you.