1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does the MicroPOG track faster than the POG2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassilPesto, Aug 5, 2012.

1. BassilPesto

BassilPesto Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Is the latency any better on the MicroPOG, vs. the POG2? I'm especially interested in the one octave up sound. Thanks.

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    As someone who has owned the POG2 and had the pleasure to A/B/C with a Micro POG and a HOG I can say that all three track just about everything equally and with no latency whatsoever. Loved them all but settled on the HOG as its so damn versatile!

3. BassilPesto

Jun 29, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    The latency of the octave sounds vs. the dry sound is quite noticeable on my POG2. I haven't compared it with the Micro POG or the HOG.

4. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Pull the 'Attack' slider down to zero, if you haven't already. :)

5. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    +100000

with everything at zero besides the octave slider there is NO latency to my ears with notes,double stops slight wavering on chords as they become more dissonant. BUT having that attack slider makes some sweet sweet music :bassist:

6. haha, I can't stress that enough. I spent a frustrated few hours when I first got that pedal. That thing takes a bit of tweaking, but once you get things mostly set, that POG2 just can't be beaten.

I've never used a MicroPOG, so sorry if this was a bit off topic.

7. BassilPesto

Jun 29, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Apologies for taking so long to continue the thread I started.

To see what's going on, I recorded myself playing with the POG2 octave down effect, and looked at the results in Audicity.

This was the setup: Fender active Jazz to a Boss TU-2 as signal splitter. One signal went directly to one input of a Zoom H4N recorder. The other signal went to the POG2 then to the other channel of the recorder.

The POG2 was set for -1 octave only, i.e.,
    Dry output: 0
    -2 octave: 0
    -1 octave: max
    +1 octave: 0
    +2 octave: 0
    Dry FX: off (unlit)
    Q: off (unlit)
    Attack: 0
    LP filter: 0
    Detune: 0

I recorded myself playing on the open G string, fingerpicking. Then I imported the recording into Audacity as a single stereo track, normalized the volume of each channel to -1 db, and shifted the time with the channels synched so the first peak of the first G was at 0.1 seconds.

Here's the result:

POG28vbLatency.

The top track is the bass, with the direct G as the top channel and the octave down as the bottom channel. The second track is just labels, showing the time from the first peak of the direct G to various points in the octave down G. The time scale at the top is in seconds.

The image shows the octave down fading in after the direct G. The lower octave seems to be lagging the direct G by roughly 0.03 seconds, or 30 milliseconds. That's like standing thirty feet from your amp. The lag was noticeable to me, especially if I played fast repeated notes.

I tried the same thing with the octave up, and found that it lagged the direct input by roughly 40 ms. Again, noticeable to me.

And I tried the POG2 dry output. The lag there was about 3 ms. That's not noticeable to me when playing.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I only have the Micro Pog and I do notice a tiny bit of latency, but I figure if I'm using it for a higher octave, I'd want it because it sounds like the delay you get on an 8-string bass anyway.