1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does the Peavey T-40 have neck dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bathead, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    Hows the weight on this bass? Does it have any neck dive?
    :confused:

Thanks for any information.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    As I recall, it's a heavy ***********! The five pound bridge alone should eliminate any neck dive!

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It weighs more that 12 people who are NOT on crack. Little or no neck dive in the Ash bodied ones due to the high body weight. Not as sure about the solid colored ones, they are supposed to be a bit lighter (most made of poplar instead of Ash).

4. Super heavy. I don't recall any neck dive.

5. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    Back in the day I had a white T-40- no neck dive, even with the cheapest nylon strap available. Given the weight I think it could be described as having "body dive".

6. The one thing T-40's are known for is that they're built like a tank and weigh as much as one too. It's not unusual to see them in the 13-14 lb. range.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    NOoo neck dive at all, they are heavy as heck. matter of fact, it's just the opposite - if you let go abruptly while playing, due to the body weight, it will slash upwards and amputate your nose, lips and eyebrows causing what's known as T-40-face. It's not pretty.

Kaden Daniels, btmpancake and Marko 1 like this.
  8. Aw man... i want one so bad :crying:

I love me some heavy basses. I haven't found anything as comfortable as my ATK... everything just feels "too light"...

JackANSI and Kaden Daniels like this.
  9. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    I am a fan of big heavy basses. I have stingrays, ATK's and 4003. Those basses all feel like a feather compared to my t-40. I swear I must have the heaviest one ever made. I bet it weighs in at close to 15lbs. It sounds great and there is no neck dive. I wear a big 4.5 inch neo strap so that helps with the weight. But after a 2hr practice my back really starts to feel it. Cool basses though!

Kaden Daniels likes this.
  10. I had one back in the eighties, my neck would dive in to my chest when i took the thing off.

11. roxtar

roxtar

Mar 9, 2009
    Lol, yeah there's definitely neck dive with the neck of the player...none at all on the bass though. It's heavy for sure, but not unbearable at all...freakin' fantastic bass, esp. after you set it up right. <3 my T-40

12. No dive.. all are 12+ lbs.

judge it in the band mix.. not stand alone

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Mine has body dive. So did the one I used to own.

14. lol the day a Peavey T-40 with neck dive is discovered is the day the Rolling Stones call it quites, tort goes extinct, and Fender is bought out by Gibson.....

15. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Neck dive? Oh Hahahahahahaha on a T40?

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Well, most T-40s don't neck dive, but some do.
    rw10zn.
    One of several...the other two are too hideous to post!

17. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I have a 10-pound T-40 that was sandblasted by a previous owner (weight reduction attempt, perhaps?). It's too heavy for my old back and has neck dive.

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    They'll definitely put a rut in your left shoulder...

19. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I love this thread.sorry I was late to reply,I played a T40 for 10 yrs 80s -90s & never thought about neckdive, or weight.back then if it heavy it was well built and anything lightweight was cheap.just look at the bridge and saddles, IMO the peavey t 40 was overdesigned,highly underrated and ahead of it's time.I wonder what it cost to to bring them back? Maybe shave some weight for crybabies?LOl btmpancake-t

20. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    They do have neck dive, but it's YOUR neck that heads towards the ground, not the bass neck..........

btmpancake and DiabolusInMusic like this.