1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this mean the speaker is blown????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XBass, Feb 21, 2008.

1. XBass

XBass

Jun 23, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    :help::help::help:

Alright, time for the back story real quick. I bought a 2nd hand eden 410XLT cab of ebay for what i think is a steal, $450 Australian plus shipping, which came to a total of $650. Anyway, as soon as it arrived home with it, i plug it into a monitor output on my rehearsal PA (i don't have an amp to test it on atm) and I'm met with distortion at a pretty low level of volume. I initially thought it was a result of me running a PA into it (i was playing bass into the PA). On closer inspection i find it just one speaker thats distorting.

So I've taken the from grill off and gently pushed on all the speaker cones to find the bottom right, the one that was distorting, feels 'rough' to push in. I'm guessing the speaker is done. Am i right to assume that i just need to replace the speaker and I'm good to go, or is there another possible problem that I'm not aware of?

Also, whats the best way to replace a speaker in this amp from Brisbane, Australia? I'm not bad with a soldering iron so could i just order a replacement speaker and change it over myself?

Thanks for any help you can provide

2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Does anybody near you recone speakers reliably. I've an Eden 10" I reconed 5 years ago and no problems. It's typically less costly than a new speaker.

3. XBass

XBass

Jun 23, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm not sure, ill have a look tho thanks.

How would a recone on the dodge speaker solve my problem exactly? (Yes speaker n00b)

4. Hi, XBass.

Yes, a new speaker will most probably be all that is needed to bring the cab back to life. I'd watch the other three too though, they might be on the end of their journey also.

The resistance and the distortion You hear is the voice coil rubbing against the magnet. When reconing, the cone, spider, surround and the voice coil are replaced.

Changing the speaker is easy, just pay attention that the polarity of all the speakers is the same. Also the impedance and other characteristics have to match if good results are required.

Regards
    Sam

5. Reconing replaces all the moving parts of the speakers. The only thing not replaced is the basket and mag.

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Yes , if it's smiling and smoking a cigarette.