Does this P bass really has a nitro finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr Mark, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Dr Mark

Dr Mark

Nov 2, 2010
  2. I'm no expert but as far as I remember, and from what I can see in the photos, it's a poly finish.

This series of bass was only available and I think only the Custom Shop versions ('55 RI I think) come with nitro finish. Also in one of the picture you can see where the finish has cracked off. From my experience, Nitro dings but is less prone to parts flaking off, which has been common on my poly basses.

As per usual, YMMV.

3. Dr Mark

Dr Mark

Nov 2, 2010
    Hm yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. That ding in particular looks like thick poly to me

DSC_3252.gif

4. yeah, that was the picture I referred to. I dropped one of my cheap P basses with a poly finish and a huge chunk came out of the arm rest.

By all means it's a good bass, if the poly finish isn't a deal breaker for you, though I feel it's a little steep for the condition it's in (what do I know, I'm Australian).

5. I own one of those Japanese 51's and can tell you that while it's a little transparent, it ain't nitro -- wish it was.

6. Dr Mark

Dr Mark

Nov 2, 2010
    Good to know. I agree it's very steep, I wonder what makes them think it has a nitro finish.

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    It's polyurethane.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Ignorance. Dishonesty.

Pick one or both.

9. Dr Mark

Dr Mark

Nov 2, 2010
    Thanks so much guys, I won't be buying it

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not nitro, but you know that by now.

BTW, the other finish from that MIJ '51 RI line is a beautiful transparent Ivory Cream color, not at all like the Mustard Yellow of the current '51 RIs. FWIW, I think max $750 with a good case or deluxe gig bag, given current economic conditions.

51pbass.jpg
    transparent51P.jpg

11. You sure?

PolyURETHANE isn't what I've usually seen on guitars. it isn't hard enough and most builders use polyester resins.

Think: surfboard resin.

12. Polyurethane is used on many guitars/basses.

13. USA Fenders use polyurethane. It's the cheaper ones (like the MIMs) that have the polyester finish. No idea about that Japanese one though. Probably polyester but I wouldn't lay money on it.

14. Can you tell me of any?

I'm at a loss here for any maker that uses it at the moment.

I know Warmoth uses some -urethane, but they use -ester first to establish a solid surface, and in many (not all) cases, they use -urethane only as a color coat.

Actually - there may be a lot of 'custom' builders who use -urethane as it's not as finicky as -ester to apply.

But - in my estimation, any builder that uses -urethane is not putting on a surface that is substantial enough for me - as it always is softer and more prone to surface integrity failure factors.

Paint a car/truck with it and it's OK. I should know as I've shot quantum gallons of it when the good-er paints were all banned in Tree Hugger Land (California).

Dulux, Centari and Imron were soooo good that they had to go I guess. With the spread-the-misery attitude here, I can see where the confusion lies.

15. Fender® Products

Fender uses it on their American Standard series and has done for years and years, even before they started doing the 'thin skin' finish in 2008

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Most instruments on the market are finished with polyurethane. I'll be conservative and say 9 out of 10.
    Pick any bass with a clear coat of solid finish and it's likely to be polyurethane. You can't miss the smell of it.

17. That's where I'm somewhat confused.

I KNOW the smell of -ester as I've built many-a surfboard and I know the aroma of the clear coat on my Fender and Squier jazzes BOTH were polyester when I was sanding them off for binding and new clear coats.

So I'm still not sure of the -urethane link.

It might be so, but not in my limited experiences so far. I can learn something new today - I still have time.

BTW: I cruised the whole Fender site, and nowhere does it give a hint of the material for the guitar's surface, clearcoat or painted colors.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Oh yeah and I don't understand the appeal for nitro, unless you want to relic the instrument.
    Polys offer a much better protection, they're easier to work with, they don't dissolve with rubber or sweat and you can get them to be glossy, matte or satin with minutes of polishing.

19. Maybe it has nothing to do with the finish, but all nitro instruments ive played, you can really feel them resonate, compared to poly.

But it may be just the instrument in general and it had nothing to do with the finish, so I dont know.

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I think its more psychosomatic than anything else. I've got poly instruments that resonate like there is no tomorrow and have had nitro ones that are like dead fish. Personally I don't care what an instrument is finished in. I also one of those people who gets wood for looks rather than tone. Its an electronic instrument.;)
    If it was an acoustic, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Most nitro instruments aren't finished in just nitro. Not even those 60s Fenders.

There is the sealer coat which is quite hard, then the under coat, then the acrylic overcoat, and then the top clear coat would have been nitro.

I also think this is a fair price for such a bass considering it has free shipping. :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021