1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this sound legit?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by B4zz3R, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Sketchy IMO.
    "Full-time" as in contract? What's the split/cut? At least picks/strings?
    If you give it a go, IMO go with a sidekick/friend at least the first time.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  2. In my opinion any project with such low expectations of the bass in the roll of the band is a waste of time. The only having ten songs but being full time seems like a red flag. Beware of the “we’re full time musicians” people. Most of them are losers who are “full time musicians” because they can’t keep a day job.

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Don't overthink this. Learn the songs. Go audition (sounds like most auditions, from your description) and be all you can be. See what happens after that.

4. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Maybe they are long songs.

Andre678, shadven, Sixgunn and 6 others like this.
  5. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Did you check out their press yet? If you Google them and you can't find all the press, then it doesn't exist outside of their imagination.

Ask them to send you links to a few of their videos as well. Same rule applies there.

These days there are so many different types of scams, it is absolutely right for you to be approaching this with some caution and healthy skepticism.

If their press looks appealing and makes them seem marketable, then I'd say go check it out.

I won't be surprised if they tell you that you are exactly what they are looking for, and then they ask you for some cash to help finance the completion of the EP. Please report back and let us know.

Aqualung60 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  6. The Ten song thing doesn’t throw me off so much because In the rock n roll world it’s not uncommon to have a 30-45 minute set. Unless you are headlining big shows. Now I would be more worried about the lack of care of who you are or how good you are. When I try new members out I’m all trying out personality and not just talent. I would go just to check it out and if anything a good laugh.

7. Oh yeah. How old are you also? If your under 21 I would be really kinda sketched. Not that it’s a bad thing being young but most pro bands won’t consider players younger because of bar laws. Real pain because I have had to pass up some great players in the past.

8. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Take your cheapest bass with you in case you get mugged. :p

9. Edarnott

Edarnott

Oct 25, 2018
    Run, and run fast.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Been there. Done that.

11. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I'm thinking this is some kind of
    kidnap/ransom thing......do you have wealthy parents or relatives?

12. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I'd have walked when I heard Evanescence come up.

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Maybe they have "connections" too!

OP - full time doesn't mean sponging off their parents, living in the basement. Full time means making enough money to live on. Use some common sense here. How does a band with 10 songs get enough gigs to make a living? Did you ask them how often they play, where they are playing, how much they get per gig, how the gig money is split, do they have equipment? Did you check their website, Facebook page, listen to demos of their music, search online?

If not, you don't even have enough information to decide to audition.

If you need money, go get a job. ;)

JRA, Aqualung60, And I and 1 other person like this.
  14. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    take someone with you

JRA and Aqualung60 like this.
  15. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Meh. At least it wasn’t The Who. Or Creed.

16. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    [​IMG]

I say check it out and bring your cheapest bass. It may not be the perfect gig but you never know what other connections you may make. Once the notion of investment on your part comes up, then it's time to bail.

17. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    :cool: Welcome to the forum

JRA and mikewalker like this.
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    A band that is more concerned about image than the music is a red flag for me. Sounds like they are not really concerned about the music. How are you going to develop as a musician if all you doing is playing simple root notes? You might be able to use the band as a stepping stone to something else due to the fact that you are going to be gigging which will give you the opportunity to network.

pcake and thetragichero like this.
  19. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    For real. They must be shooting for that early 2000's sound...not all that relevant in 2019. Plus that music is about as shallow as it gets.

Mister Boh likes this.
  20. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yep-- puffery. They are quite naturally portraying the opportunity in its best light, heavy on aspirational stuff, and they want you to take the gig, so of course they talk it up as the next big thing. But-- nothing wrong with that, that's just optimism, not deception.

Not my kind of music, but for the experience, given you've not been at it super long, of playing with older and maybe more experienced-than-you players, why not? And if it ends up paying $ too? Bonus. I've long said-- having played in a multitude of musical contexts over the years-- that all experience is good experience. I've learned a lot with that philosophy.

Worst case scenario -- you decide it aint happenin', and you walk away a little wiser-- as I said, all experience is good experience, that's how you get to be functional in any musical setting, and thus, able to work ($).

In general, if the question is "I don't know, should I go for it?" the answer is usually yes. You'll regret more the opportunities you don't pursue than those you do, in life. Says the bass Buddha from high mountaintop that resembles a soap box.

Good luck, I would be interested to hear how it turns out, here on this thread, once you've got a better idea where this leads.