1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does your band meet the stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BoomingBass, Apr 30, 2010.

1. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    My band does not. My lead guitarist is super bright, tall, and skinny. My rythm guitarist is upper average height, VERY muscular, kinda fat, semi-bright, and really creative. My drummer is very fat and big, semi-bright, and semi-creative. My singer is short, pretty intelligent, and semi-creative. I'm Super intelligent, very creative, upper average height, and not very strong at all. :bassist:

2. thwump64

thwump64

Feb 2, 2010
    Oshawa, ON
    Let's see. Our drummer is short and defiantly not the brightest drummer ever, our guitarist doesn't know what tuning he's in half the time, and I'm 6 foot, the only creative one, and don't move when I play.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Hmmmm...

Guitar player: 6'5" bright as hell, and a heck of a nice guy.

Drummer: 6' 3" sales and marketing executive, and self proclaimed metro-sexual.

Singer: 6' muscular rather "intense" personality

Me: 6' 1" a bit robust and something of an introvert until I get onstage.

4. Hard to tell...

Both g*****ists and myself are all about 5'8", drummer is a woman, about 5'3"

G-word # 1 - clean cut, clean shaven Mexican guy medium build. Always wears black. His emotional instability is thinly veiled by a constant good mood and smile.

G-word #2 - kinda skinny, long hair, constant 5-o'clock shadow Mexican guy. You think he's a soft-spoken guy when you first meet him...but he is very not-level-headed

Drummer - G-word #1's wife. Really pretty kinda short Mexican girl. Always wears black, constantly either exited about something, or afraid of something

Macaroni Tony - 190lbs of equal parts muscle and fat, the only black guy. I hate to toot my own horn, but ::toot toot:: I am by far the silky smoothest of the band

Come to think of it...yeah I guess we do kinda fit the stereotype

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No one in my band has STDs, but we do all smoke the reefer, Im not sure where I stand on this.

6. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Guitarist: Swiss/Burmese, no idea what's going on around him, technically a musical genius though he knows nothing about the history or music itself just the theory, has a propensity to put his hands down his pants, very sporty, gets lots of girls and has the most twisted and scary mind I've ever come across.

Drummer: Swiss/Aussie, short, skinny, aggressive, glasses, great with numbers and video games, is the most socially adjusted of the three of us and either takes things very seriously or not seriously at all.

Me: 6' +, 90Kg, reading the classics, obssessed with facts and trivia, hilariously bad with girls, fatally obssessed with football, biggest drinker of us three (or anyone my age I know), don't care about perfection as long as it feels right and once set fire to my own head.

I'd say we don't match up with the stereotype too well.

7. Drummer: 62, trim, bright (Master's degree), ex-college instructor and Air Force Captain, retired from both; band organizer and leader. Has played our specialty (surf music) since the 60's.

Lead guitar: accountant/auditor, @58, pleasant and smart. 5'9", probably 190 pounds. Very sharp with equipment and likes to discuss it.

Rhythm guitar: graphic designer and computer type, 6'3", @50, good condition, extremely pleasant, has played professionally for years and has a superb ear.

Bass (me): 5'8", 190 pounds, Ph.D., will be 60 in June, took 23-year layoff from bass 1973-96. Good ear, meticulous about equipment. Biggest gear hound, and has the most instruments.

In this band there are ZERO ego problems, conflicts or issues. We're all mature men who know this is not what we do for a living and never will be. We enjoy each other's company and the music we play.

Yeah, just your average band - or in terms of ego and behavior, what many bands would LIKE to be.

8. Mine doesn't fit stereotypes either... all the other guys listen patiently to me, especially the guitarist who is more than ready to learn new things (be it from the bassist) :eek:

9. Ask not if your band meets the stereotypes -- ask if the stereotypes meet your band.

11. Yes and no.

Singer/rhythm guitar player: White dude, 6'3", kinda chubby, bald, huge beard, tattoos, wears whatever clothes on stage he wore that day. On stage he's all over the place

Lead guitar: white/hispanic, 5'5", chubbier clean cut, no tattoos, dresses real pretty all the time. Typically reserved on stage.

Drummer: Puerto Rican/Native American, F*****g monster proportions!, few small tattoos, long hair, no beard, dress varies from show to show but it's typically athletic gear like basketball shorts, sneakers, and a t-shirt. Does a lot of sitting on stage.

Me: White dude, chubby, 6', long hair, beard, tattoos, piercings, usually rockin' the sleeveless dickie/camo short look. All over the place, always kicking out wires and stuff. Just bought a wireless.

12. Dunno, you tell me:

Singer/lead guitarist - ~5ft9, average build, smokes & drinks to much. Attempts to be a womanizer, but sadly hasn't had much luck in recent times, tattoos, bright BSc(hons) - Biochem

Drummer - just over 5ft9 (the amount of times they have this arguement at practice . . .), skinny but with a temper, tattoos, bright - BSc(hons) - Microbiology

Bassist(me) - 6ft4, reasonably muscular (oly weightlifter) while admittitly carrying extra weight, tattoos, pretty bright by an academic standard, BSc(hons)-biochem, MSc-Nanotech, working on a PhD in physics.

Guitarist - 6ft2, skinny & laid back. Has beard & glasses :p

13. At one time I worked with the following group:

Lead G-guy - Latino, macho and paranoid (a bad combination!) - has some really bad internal demons. Could really get into Santana and deep blues - natch! Killed himself with a Craftsman power drill for three hours until he died.

Bass (me) - now older by yards, always was a Cauc, several years of Fine Arts college-level, talkative and can hear wrong notes where others cannot. Unfortunately having a photographic memory, I sometimes find I leave the lens cap on.

Drummer - tried to kill things he saw crawling on the drum heads. Took LSD many times in the '60s and never really came home again. Loved flowers and bugs, especially spiders. Dead now.

Keyboardist (single female) - couldn't sight read but otherwise was a great player if she could hum it first. Raised cats which isn't so hard as they are born pregnant anyway. Vegetarian with an affinity for curative herbals and teas by the quart even though what she REALLY needs is a big, rare steak. Currently living in Twentynine Palms, CA., talking to rocks and getting secret answers. She wants to be the next person to take a comet ride with Zolton-II.

Gads - looking back at that is kinda like deja-vu all over again.

14. Wow, tho, how do you know he took 3 hours to kill himself with the drill !

15. He made an audio tape of it and the coroner said it was accurate.

Maybe he should have used a bigger drill bit - or smaller -- depends on his motives I guess.

OH - and the family tried to sue Sears for not labeling that it was dangerous to actually drill body parts and might be hazardous to you, on the box somewhere. The judge laughed so hard I think he fell off his chair. That story will be in the judge's book when her signs a deal for publisher's rights.

16. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Lead Guitarist: 5' 10", thinner, strong build, doesnt move much on stage, pretty bright

Rhythm Guitarist: 5' 10", bigger guy, pretty bright as well, moves a lot on stage

Drummer: 5' 8", stockier kid, provides 'comedy' of the group, makes the 'drummer faces'

Lead singer: 5' 11", thinest of the group, bright kid, moves on stage in a way only he can move

Bassist: 6' 4", Stocky, not the brightest, provides other half of the 'comedy', likes to headbang, strike the 'power stance'

17. SurferJoe:

Recorded it?!?! Christ on a stick :-\

18. Yeah - and after the coroner used it in the investigation, it went to the family and never was heard again. I hope they microwaved it.

I personally never heard it either. Not too sure I would want to if offered the chance.

He was a little spiteful - in a postmortem way I guess.

19. Boy - that was a thread-killer! Sorry.