Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dogs are weird

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OK, so my dog and I, we're buds now. We hang out. But this is starting to bother me. My dog loves to use me as a table to eat things off of.

I'll be sitting on a couch, and she'll put a chew bone/toy/biscuit/misc food on my lap/side/back/whatever and start eating it. What's the deal with this?

2. My dog will do the same. I don't think we'll ever know.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My dog is primarily an indoor dog. She loves going outdoors, but because she eats rabbit poo we can't let her out all that often. But every now and again we let her run around in the backyard. Now she does a peculiar thing when she gets this opportunity, whereupon she sniffs vigorously around in the grass, then stands still for a moment and then plunges into the grass and starts rolling around in all manners of weird ways. After that she gets up jumps to another spot in the grass and does it again. I have no clue why she does this, but it's a funny thing to watch.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Usually when a dog rolls, it's in something nasty. I think it has to do with covering their scent.

If a dog eats that near to you, it's a good sign. It means the dog is not threatened by you and is willing to share food/treats with you. Not all dogs are that accomodating, some are much more protective/territorial of their food/stuff and won't let you near at all. Look at it as a sign of affection on the part of your dog.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yea, only our grass is clean and well kept so while it might have something to do with covering her scent, at least it's not by covering it in something nasty.

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Everytime my dog, or any dog in my family, has rolled (or attempted to roll) like that it has been in something nasty... Maybe yours just has an itchy back? :smug:

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The last two times we've taken Roxie the Boxer out to our land she's gone out and rolled in the nastiest pile of green cow turds that she can find. Also, both times she's done this she's come back and my dad has gone to pet her and put his hand right in it. You usually can't see it immediately because she get's it on her chest and under her neck.

brad cook

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Thus-far, water-going fowl excrement has been the absolute worst we've had to encounter. Ducks, geese, and *gasp* occasionally sea gulls... :scowl:

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    And why do they do that? They have no predators to hide from.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let's hope she doesn't mistake something for a chew-bone.

11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Instinct is hard to suppress I guess. It could be as much for hiding their scent from their prey as much, and if not more than, from their predators. Not that a domesticated animal typically has to hunt for its food or hide from a much of anything... Unless they chew up our slippers or the living room furniture again! :spit: :D

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I guess we can file rolling in duck-doo in with why they circle around 2-3 times before going to lay down.

13. I think my dog wins, it's a girl and she's spade. Before she was spade however, when my dad first brought on her home, I was lying on the couch watching tv, then suddenly this dog runs around the corner, sniffs a little, then jumps on the couch and starts humping me like crazy, I was like 12, and had no idea *** to do, so I yell for help. My dad comes in, says "Hey Jake, I think she likes you!"

But now, years later, after being spade, she still has two old couch pillows that sit in a corner waiting for her to just go to town on them. When we have company however, they go in the closet.

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Uhhh... Girl dogs hump?! I think your dog might be confused. :eyebrow: :ninja:

15. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Actually, and I'm not kidding here, does she smell funny (fishy) when she does this?

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Whenever something lands in my lap, it's game over.

17. I thought it had to do with placing their scent, and marking their territory, similar to territorial pissings. That's why cats tend to rub themselves along walls, etc...

18. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Could be... I'll ask my aunt. She'll know for sure if it is known for sure.

I know urine is a biggie for that but they also have glands in their behind (which sometimes get impacted giving off a funky fishy smell), and they do have them in their armpits and crotch as well. I'd think that the duck-doo and what-not would be over-powering compared to their own scents eventhough they have a much great sense of smell than we do.

In any event, I've gotten pretty good at yanking Bean (see avatar) out of a roll on the way down. He's quick though.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Your dog does this for the same reason my girlfriend's cat brings us dead rats and mice. He's trying to share it with you! I know it all sounds a bit gross now but to an animal lover like me, this is actually very cute. It's the ultimate sign of affection - yep even more so than humping which has very little to do with affection at all.

20. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    My boston terrier digs deep deep fluffy snow. he jumps into snowbanks and all you see his head running around! Snow shark!! hehe