Dominant A Arco

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kwd, Feb 3, 2009.

1. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I installed Dominants on my bass last night from my string drawer. I've had my bass set up since last having them on. For pizz, this is the best my bass has ever sounded. I never thought it could sound this big and full. Arco is a different story. The D and G are okay but the A sounds like a chainsaw. Has anyone else had this problem? These strings already have 7 months on them from the previous installation so I doubt the A will settle down. I'm determined to make this work and I'm wondering if any of you have been helped by a particular technique or approach for that string.

2. No solution here, but I'll just add that I found the same thing when I used Dominants (a year ago, maybe two). The Dominant A was one of the most hard-to-bow strings I've come across. I'm sure if my arco technique was better it wouldn't have been an issue. Like you, I enjoyed the D and G and don't recall have any particular difficulty there. I'd be interested in hearing from more experienced arco players on this subject.

3. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Inactive

Apr 6, 2007
    I had the same problem as you. Pizz is full and with lots of bottom. Arco is scratchy as hell.

4. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    rub a tiny bit of rosin straight onto the problem string and kiss your problems good-bye.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    ...and then hope that none of them break! :(
    I wound up with the Evahs. For now, as a former Dominant lover, I really like their dark pizz. sound and, for arco, they are head and shoulders above the Doms.

6. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I had a little luck last night with the A. I practiced the A major scale up and down on that string. That string requires a lot of bow weight to get a clean start and it seems to start better with the bow closer to the bridge. I think it's going to be workable with either a tourte mute or one of those rubber rings. I've been tempted to order an Evah or 140H A. I'm trying to resist the string buying insanity and just live with it. Don't know how long that will last.;)

7. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    I think there might be a misunderstanding here. There is no relationship between putting rosin on the string and string breakage. They are two completely unrelated matters.

And just to be clear, I did not mean that you should put rosin before installation, I actually lubricate before installing Dominants and have never had one break.

I meant that if you lightly rosin the string in the area where you bow the string, you will never have trouble with response and sound quality, unless your bow technique needs work.

8. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Actually, there was no misunderstanding. I didn't mean to suggest that putting rosin on the string after it is installed would affect breakage issues. I was simply referring to the frequent Dominant breakages that many of us have suffered. Mine were always installed very carefully and with proper lubrication at the bridge notches and nut. They still broke-- sometimes spontaneously in the middle of the night. I love the feel and sound of the Doms. I just couldn't live with the unreliability anymore. I hope that you continue to enjoy them trouble-free!

As for arco, I must say again that the Evahs perform far better than I ever got any Dom to even on its (or my :)) best day. YMMV

9. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    I am sorry to hear about your lack of fortune, sadly you are not alone.

10. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    My small, unscientific survey would suggest that the Dom Gs are notorious for breaking, followed by the E. The last time the G almost snapped me in the head was just too much.

11. In my case it was the D...

12. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I know slightly old thread here, but I have a recommendation for you to try. This was found from personal tries after a concept that come up on Ken smith's forums.

Switch the tuning peg for your A and E string and see if that helps the sound on your A. It was found that some people that are used to extensions were stringing their non-extended basses the same way and that the extra angle on the A string really helped while less angle on the E really didn't make much of a difference. The end result being that the A string vibrated much better and had better sustain and a more dark tone.

Before giving up on your Dominant's A, swap the pegs. See if helps. It seems like a small change, but I can vouch that it made a very noticable difference for me.

13. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Thank you for the response. I'm a little apprehensive about trying it in the immediate future as it would leave the bass with the tension of just two strings possibly resulting in the sound post falling. When I have comfortable stretch of time between rehearsals and performances I will give that a try.

I noticed that the scratchiness of the A isn't as noticeable in a group context and through my amp.

14. If your soundpost falls while two strings are still at full tension, it needed refit anyway.

mark

15. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I've been able to tame the arco response of the A string. I think some of it was adapting my technique, some the string settling. I'm pleased with the overall arco sound I'm getting and I'm happy I stuck with it.

Thanks for all of your posts.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021