1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dominant G?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Selim, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I'm trying Spiro 4/4 lights (as a hybrid set) and trying out various G strings to replace the Spiro G.

I have a brand new/uninstalled Dom G that I bought a while back to try with medium Spiros. My question is, would the Dom G + Spiros lights set up work at all, or would there be just too much of a gauge/tension difference between the 2?

The reason I'm asking is because if there is, I'd rather not install it, so it would be easier to sell down the road.

Thanks for your input

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Too much tension

lurk likes this.
  3. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I thought so.

I have a Belcanto G on right now. A decent match, but pitches are somewhat less distinct than the Spirocores.

I'm open to suggestions ...

4. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Superflexible

5. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Interesting suggestion. It's been over 30 years since I've played the "blues" ...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Sam Dingle likes this.
  6. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    3/4 Spriocore Solo tuned to orchestral pitch. It actually has a slightly higher tension than a 4/4 weich tuned to orch (if the tension chart I read here is to be belived), with the more damped-but-still-a-Sprio sound of the downtuned solos.

7. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Wait down tuned 3/4 solos is HIGHER than 4/4 weich? @DoubleMIDI is that true?

8. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Interesting. I didn't even know they made a 3/4 solo set. So many Spiros!

9. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I've heard there are 7 sets:

3/4 solo weich mittle
    4/4 solo weich mittle stark

10. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    From the should-be-stickied “All the different Spiro Sets” thread.

11. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    ok so only the G string is higher.

12. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    Exactly. It looks like the much more common 4/4 solo G is almost exactly the same tension as the weich 4/4 G, while being less twangy imo.

13. For a comparison of different Spiros have a look at my Excel-file in my Dropbox (link below).

Solo Spiros (and most other Solo sets) have equal or diminishing tension towards the lower strings whereas orchestral Spiros have a growing tension towards the lower strings.
    I would care more for that aspect what fits your taste better. For a more universal string I would take the 4/4 Weich.

Selim and Sam Dingle like this.
  14. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    Not, according to Thomastik's official catalog: Thomastik Infeld Catalog 2018

15. SamuelHarris

SamuelHarris Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    I recently found that a superflexibles solo tuned to orchestra G was a very good tension match to 4/4 Spiro weichs

Selim, HateyMcAmp and Sam Dingle like this.
  16. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    SF solos are very bright, correct?

Sam Dingle likes this.
  17. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    What about tone and volume?
    Thanks

18. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I played an Upton bass once at Upton that had a medium Spiro G w/ 4/4 lights and it didn't feel out of place

19. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Make sure when comparing Spiros that the data is all calculated to the same scale length. @DoubleMIDI 's chart has this calculated out. The 4/4 Spiro weich G is about the same tension as the 3/4 solo A tuned down to G. The rest of the weichs are higher tension than the solos.

@Selim I doubt a Dom G would pair well with Weichs. The Dom G is higher tension than the G on a set of 4/4 Spiro Mittel. On my bass Dom upper strings pair well with the 4/4 Mittel. The Doms are a stiffer string and respond differently in the hand and under the bow than Spiros.

Maybe a Zyex Light or Evah Weich G? Both strings are still pretty light at under 60 lbs, but may sound and feel more matched to you with the weich E A D.

20. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks - you're probably right, Zyex light will be the next one to try.

I'm suffering somewhat from what Steve is feeling here:
    and I hope I'll stick with the Spiro lights long enough for them to get more broken-in and then more groovy -- they're such a versatile string.

Steve Boisen likes this.