1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Donate a Parts bass .. Group effort!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Mar 24, 2009.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    was working outside on A P bass body (WHICH I FKD UP :spit:) and was thinking :eek:, all the past people on this forum (good people) who have donated basses to people, less fortunate people.. well tbh i dont have a bass to donate (kinda partial to my few) but i do have quite a large parts drawer.. hardware of MIA,MIJ and MIM basses enough to make 4 basses worth between bridges tuners pickguards pickups.. so was thinking of people agree..

we should donate unwanted parts to one member who will assemble the bass, set it up, and give it to the (lucky) deserving person in need..

i will gladly post on tuners bridge pickguard pickups what ever else i have to america (prob about 30bucks for post knowing my crooked corrupt country) think of it could be fun, someone would not only be getting a bass from someone here they'd be getting one from all of us, a TalkBass special so to speak :p

2. Good idea! I have lots of parts that could be used. No necks or bods though. I gave a bass to a local kid last year and I'm working on another one for one of my Sons friends now. It's good to see them in someones hands that will appreciate them instead of collecting dust in my office.

3. Good idea....not sure what parts I have right now....but please don't ask me to assemble the bass.

I would think that daily pics from the assembler would be needed.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Great idea!

I have a few extra pickups (MTD, Fender Jazz), strap pins, bridges and neckplates (Fenders), lightly used strings, etc.

Actually, I likely have a bunch more crap that I likely just can't think about off the top of my head right now!

For a good cause, I am in for sure..

5. Heck, being the poor young bassist that I am... I would just be happy to get a box of parts to put my own bass together!

But alas, my gear isn't so bad afterall. There must be a younger more deserving bassist somewhere on the forums.

6. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a set of no name chrome clover tuners, a chrome no name Fender style bridge and a no name white P-bass pickguard (scratched a bit though) lying around.

7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    anyone consider themselves decent at setting up and assembling :p

8. Define decent. My bass is pretty well set up by my own hands... But I don't think I would have the confidence to setup someone Else's bass. I've taken apart and reassembled my fair share of basses, though.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Im sure Nino could pull off a set up and put it together, but Im not one to volunteer. I dont have any parts, seeing that the basses I have are all I ever have had.

This is a great idea, and if I can help Ill be sure to say so. :bassist:

10. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland

I can solder anything, read a schematic, assemble bodies, necks, set relief, set up bridges(height, intonation, file if needed), set nut height (if needed), adjust the truss.

So long as it doesnt need fretwork, I'm there.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have a bunch of brand new boomers. Not much else in the way of parts.

12. I've got some MIM tuners, old pickups: a Sting single coil, Jag stock, MIM stock, a Gotoh bridge, Fender stock bridge, all mint...

13. The hardest part to come up with will be the body and neck. obviously. If the project is to go forth you'll either need an off brand body and neck together or a Fender spec body and a Fender spec neck.

I've got bridges, p'ups, pickguards, pots, knobs, etc. sitting around here. I was waiting to find a beater bass locally that needed some work so I could put together a bass to give out next Christmas.

This past holiday I gave a local kid an Epiphone Les Paul and here we are about four months later and I get a note from him every few weeks asking me questions and keeping me updated on his progress. I really thought I'd never see or hear from him again once he had the guitar so this is a nice surprise.

And it does make you feel all "warm and fuzzy".

14. jgoldbe

jgoldbe

Jul 9, 2008
    New York City
    I have an old P bass body, and an old crappy neck with the frets ripped out. The body and neck are fender copies, not very good quality or anything, but they can serve their purpose. also I have tuners, a bridge cover, and I'm sure some other bits and pieces laying around. Let me know what I can do.

15. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    I have a neck plate w/ screws and two flat top chrome knobs! And a Fender MIM White Pickguard...

16. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Cool idea. I could put the bass together but not really sure who to donate it to. Even have a gig bag to put it in.

17. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    I'll do it. I put together, setup, tuned a bunch of guitars. Its usually how I buy them anyway, i hardly ever just flatout buy a guitar. Id be willing to set it up.

18. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Define poor.

19. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    btw I'm in need of a Fender Jazz =) Id donate my Peavey after i got it haha

20. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I have assembly and refinishing experience. I could help out.