Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Donna Lee phrasing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ole Jason, Sep 18, 2003.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm working this one up for a recital with a few guys and they want me to take the head the first time through with everyone else. When I learned this on my own awhile back I learned it without slurring anything. The guitarist slurs pretty much everything unless he changes strings and I'm finding it a bit awkward doing the same slurs as him. How have you guys played it with a group? We're going to take it around 240 to the quarter so the slurs may get easier as I work it up to that tempo, just wondering what you guys have done.

2. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    240 is too fast IMO,I find it does'nt "speak" at that tempo,where did Jaco do it,around 210 I think.I've played it a few times in group situations around 210-220 and tried to use as few slurs as possible when playing the head and doubling with a sax.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It might not be a good idea to follow the guitarist's phrasing to the letter. That piece has a lot of notes, and without clean articulation of most of the notes, it'll start to sound like mud.

4. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    240 is too fast if you ask me too! It's not my recital though so I just do what I'm told. I'll just try it both ways. I'm playing it with no slurs as of right now, haven't had a chance to try it with the group though.

5. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    You could still mention to the group that you think it's too fast.Ensembles in the jazz world work best under a democracy,a good lesson for young players to learn.
    If the group is being supervised by a teacher,it's his responsibility to correct the tempo based on his experience.
    Bop tunes require precise articulation to generate a musical performance for the audience,which is the goal of the recital.
    At that tempo with a group of inexperienced players it will be difficult.

6. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Who said we're unexperienced? :)

I was just wondering what kind of experience others have had playing it with a group.