Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dorm Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Jul 7, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I figure this has been discussed before but I didn't find much via the search.

Here's the skinny, I'm leavin for college in mid august and I will be living in a typical dorm room. The problem is that I am somewhat afraid to take my current bass for dorm life.

Current Bass - Warmoth Deluxe 5, incredible spalt maple top (read: easy to ding), bound body, emg's, schaller bridge, gotoh tuners, quilt maple headstock, 5 piece neck, all gold/black hardware, unmarked pau ferro FB, etc.

So, would you take this bass into a dorm or would you get something a little more abuse-able? If I don't take this I will probably get a beat up fender V or a used Lakland skyline or similar.

Thoughts?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you have a secure room, you can take any kind of bass. I had some pretty nice ones when I was in grad school. What you really need is a Tascam Basstrainer. It is perfect for practicing without irritating your neighbors.

3. Teh_GoAT

Teh_GoAT

Apr 25, 2004
    Hrm, after just spending a semester in dorms, I might be able to shed some light...

I found that it is REALLY easy to keep your bass out of other people's hands. If you have a hard case, anyways. My case with my SR4 has a lock on it. If I wanted to make sure nobody touched my bass, I'd just lock it. I rarely had to do that though. Out of sight, out of mind.

If you're going to be leaving it out on a stand, or if you're going to be letting the proverbial "buddy" come and jam on your bass, get another one.

And hey, if you can afford another bass.. then do it! One more can't hurt.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Wait a minute, if it's possible for you to get a Fender 5 or Lakland, than why are you here typing instead of out buying? :bassist:

Seriously, if you're worried about it, don't do it. Get another bass, and if you end up in a situation you trust more, bring out the hot rod.

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    SX bass with a Korg Pandora and/or small coffee shop gig-capable combo amp.

6. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    if you are not worried about the stealing, it sounds like a nice bass...but...if you are worried about the dinging (<_that a word?) then dont take it, or take it an leave in a safe place, spalt maple is indeed Very "soft" and, very pretty

7. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

The only way of locking it up will be by locking my door, which of course another person will have a key to.

And yes, I will be getting a headphone amp/amp modeler for practice.

8. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    hopefully you will luck into cool roommates that respect your stuff - the odds are stacked in the other direction

when I was in school I had very expensive audio equipment
    my one roommate would always help himself when I was gone despite my clear guidelines. This was in the vinyl days - so I found some of the anoying lps he liked, bought a similiar one, starting playing it and acting like I was enjoying it then ripped it off the table, broke it in half - he was shocked as he thought it was his record - I told him, no it wasn't and neither was it his stereo - he never messed with anything of mine again (sorry for the short digression)

I'll second the Tascam bass trainer - get a MKii version and you can plug in and play along with cds etc without disturbing anyone. not to mention slow down and speed up recordings without changing pitch

as for a base - why not try an essex (or sx)
    see the essex megathread or vist www.rondomusic.com
    also it allows you a bass you can learn to set up action, install pickups, bridge, etc

9. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

If it was feasible for me to buy another bass then I would get it in an instant. However, If i did get something else, it would involve selling this one.

10. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

I have considered an SX, but I will be trying to get into one of the Jazz Ensembles @ Purdue, and I want my main performance bass to be something a little better.

11. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I brought my rig to my dorm. Had my Jazz, and my Ibanez 506 for a while.

My friend/ fellow TBer brought 3 basses with him. Into a small room i might add :) . Wawicks, American Fenders.

As long as you keep your room locked, volume not too loud, or advertise that you have a 1000 bass in your room, you should be fine, IMO

12. I had my Warwick and Lakland in the room...kept them in the cases under the bed, in the closet, etc. Told the roommate in the beginning that if anything happened to them, he'd deal with my wrath. I didn't have any problems, but just make sure your roommate is trustworthy.

13. For the first little while im gonna bring my MIM P and my Peavey 112 combo and see how things go until i can trust my roomate. If I can trust him enough, then I may bring down my MIA Jazz and possibly my Fender bassman 250/210 if i get in a gigging band. Both my cases have locks, so thats not a problem. My friend who was a freshman last year said that the locked cases are good anyways for storing valuable stuff like money, private stuff, etc.

14. Get a hardshell case... Get a small lock for the hardshell case... Buy a bike chain, or similar device... "Chain" the case to something stationary, IE bed frames, closet shelves, anything attached or affixed to the ground... Guard keys with your life, and swallow the backups...

That's what I think you should do... Maybe you should skip the swallowing of the backup keys though... You know, for sake of you bowls.

~Ryan

15. I brought my Sting Ray 5 to college and didn't have a problem, although my roommate was pretty respectful towards my stuff and didn't have many people over. Something that other's didn't touch on was buying a locker or similar. I plan on taking my Rob Allen to college next semester, and the locker idea seems like the best idea since I could also put my amp (well...just the head) in there as well.

The biggest problem with storing your instrument is that when you just want to noodle around, you have to go through the trouble of unsecuring your bass. Then when you're done you have to put it back. It gets old pretty quick.

16. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I second the get a hardshell case and a bike lock, and lock it to your bed. It's not hard to do. If you are going to try for a good music group you definately need to take your best bass. Further, Fender or lakeland (even one not as nice as your warmoth) is much more likely to be stolen as it is a brandname.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you going to be a music major/minor? If so you should have access to lockup rooms at your college. Keep the Warmoth there and an SX in your room.

I may have to lock up my '78 P and Marcus Miller, but I got my bastardized Ibanez to keep me company in my room.

18. i was really lucky when i lived in the dorms my freshman year. my roommate was my friend from highschool (he too played bass) so the rules were clear. my suite-mates included another bass player and a guitar player. that was awesome, because everyone respect eachothers instruments. we never locked our door because we all became best friends.

i was soooooooooooooo luck. i wouldn't however recommend bringing your good bass. it's only asking for trouble.

best of luck in college.

19. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    I've been worried about this too but more about my bass getting stolen since pretty much anyone who has watched a music video knows the name Fender. I need to get a good case that does not say Fender on it.

20. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    that's what i did last year, but my case was rarely locked unless i shot home for the weekend and didn't feel like lugging around my american j (i kept my mim at home). I locked the case then used one of those heavy duty bike/computer cords and master lock to keep the sucker impermiable. most of the time it was unlocked and in my hands (i procrastinate alot). it wasn't really a problem though, my roommate turned out to be a decent guy. once he even locked it and took away the key so i would study. i got it back though.