1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

double bass and guitar

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Sharp, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    does anyone know of any good double bass and guitar duets? any help'd be appreciated

-Tom

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I'm pretty sure there's another thread around here on exactly this, which has some great ideas - as I remember actually buying the CD of Jim Hall and Ron Carter "Alone Together" after reading that thread!!

Have a look through the rest of the threads...

3. haha.. Yeah. That's quite a job, huh. :eek: ;)

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Not really. Just do a search.

There's also other duos. Joe Pass and NHOP.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Search function. You could look up "duo Jim Hall Ron Carter" and within a couple threads, you'd find it. I'm pretty sure it was one of mine, too. If you want to be more specific, it's in the Recordings [DB] forum.

6. CHOPS - Amazing recording! Also Jay Leonhardt duets one is very good.

7. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    The Jim Hall / Red Mitchell live stuff (from Sweet Basil's? Can't remember) is to die for. I just love those two together.

8. tgrant

tgrant

Nov 7, 2005
    Middletown, VA
    Go to Jimmy Bruno's website. He's got some free downloads of him and Jeff Pedros doing duets. I don't think they ever released a CD as a duet together but, I've seen them live in Washington VA together and it was incredible. Jeff is a young guy, he did an amazing arrangement of Haitan Fight Song for solo bass. He's going to be one to watch for in the future I bet.

Also, search Jim Hall. He's done a ton of duet work.

9. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    At last! Something I know about and can post usefully on :D

I play in a bass/guitar duo, and consequently have a large collection of bass/guitar duo recordings - I'll try to remember to post a comprehensive list when I'm at my home computer.

In the mean time an all-time favourite is Howard Alden and Jack Lesberg "No Amps Allowed." It's available at eMusic too. Simple yet beautiful stuff.

As well as those already mentioned (guitar + NHOP/Red Mitchell/Ron Carter etc) there's many others. Some that spring to mind are:

Jennifer Leitham/Jimmy Bruno
    Dave Young/Lenny Breau
    Michael Moore/Gene Bertoncini (there are at least 3 G/B duo CDs from these two)

This should keep you going.

10. jbass24

jbass24

Feb 1, 2002
    Philly, NYC
    Jeff Pedraz is an absolute monster player. I was fortunate enough to study with him last year and he really helped me get my technique together. Though I only had a few lessons with him he was soooo helpful and I hope to study with him some more in the future. Jeff is such a great guy if anyone has the chance to check him out or take a lesson or two with him, go for it!

11. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    charlie haden/pat metheny - beyond the missouri sky

and

jim hall & basses

2 must-haves fo' sho'.

12. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    on the more avant side, theres a Gary Peacock with Bill Frisell duet cd called "Just So Happens" that is interesting.

13. As Damon says...Jim Hall and Red Mitchell live at Sweet Basil's
    Hard to find though. You won't be sorry you tried.

14. joe_sorren

joe_sorren

Apr 7, 2005
    arizona
    The Wood Brothers new recording (Chris Wood from Medeski Martin and Wood) is primarily guitar and DB. Good stuff.