Double bass CD's every bass player should have...

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by kawaeegirl, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Im a new bass player and im so in love with it, I just wish I started earlier... BUt what CD's should I get to start off with? I love listening to bass music but i have no clue what the classics are...
    Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
  2. fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    Not totally upright but anything by Jaco Pastorious

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    As great as Jaco was, he plays electric bass. If you are looking for Double Bassists, anything by Edgar Meyer is worth listening to. He is an amazing virtuoso classical player.
  4. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Sandberg Guitars
    Stanley Jordan has some great upright work as well.
  5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    KGirl, welcome here!

This thread lays out a bunch of favorites, both "old school" and otherwise.
  6. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Isn't it a marvelous world to step into?
    What kind of music do you like KG?

If it's jazz, there are so many great places to start you can hardly go wrong.

Some contemporaries I like are [all these guys are on upright]

Marc Johnson -- try Bass Desires, look for him on CDs with John Abercrombie, a 2nd generation, post-Miles jazzer with unique sensibilities.

Ron Carter -- Lord, I don't know were to start ... someone? Bass and I, mostly mainstream jazz and pretty much the epitome of the best of the breed

Paul Chambers -- OK you have to have Miles "Kind of Blue" in any case so take advantage and get a lesson in modal play from the master. Walking over long slow measures is no mean feat

John Patitucci -- Sketch Book, Hudson Project, dozens more. He's a new generation, post-fusion kind of guy

Dave Holland -- Prime Directive [I still think it's the best of his ensembe recordings], Extensions [that CD absolutely BURNS, but it's getting harder to find], Question & Answer [with Pat Metheny], dozens more, his background is in bop and post-bop electric jazz

Charlie Haden -- Beyond Missouri Sky [pensive duets with Metheny -- OK I have a bias for guitar jazz] Liberation Music Orchestra, he did two with Bill Frisell and Ginger Baker. He's very lyrical, very deep roots in the tradition

Scott LaFaro -- his work with Bill Evans set the standard for the role of bass in jazz trios. Buy Saturday at the Village Vanguard if you buy nothing else.

Going back, you can check out some Elington and Basie recordings, because alot of what we hear now started there. But the problem is that the bass is buried in most of those early recordings and it takes a practiced ear to pick it up.

You'll probably hear lots more ideas. Gather some names, do some shopping (find the discounts and stock up).

I wish I could recommed some good blue grass bassists. I've only recently woke up to that genre and don't know much about it.

Drop us a line and let us know what you get.

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Brian Bromberg's "Wood".....if, for nothing else, the sheer "Wow!" factor.

On the other, more sedate side, Charlie Hayden is excellent.
    NHOP's more straight ahead stuff with Oscar Peterson is good.
    Ray Brown is probably the icon of Upright Swing.
    Edgar Meyer is simply musicality personified.

All IMHO, of course. ;)
  8. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Brian Bromberg's WOOD...I heard him on 88.3FM the other day, and I had this look :eek: on my face through the whole song! I must get his CD
  9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Gary Karr "Apres un Reve"
    Joel Quarrington "Bottesini"

Bill Evans trio "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"
    Dave Holland "One's all"
    Oscar Peterson trio "Night Train"
    Duke Ellington with Jimmy Blanton "Duets, solos, and trios"

lots more to come. . .
  10. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I kind of like the Rufus Reid/Michael Moore duet recordings. The first one is essential, the second not so much.

I'd also recommend anything you can find from King & [Glenn] Moore.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You say : "Double Bass CDs" and "bass music" - do you mean CDs where it is Double Bass alone, unaccompanied..?

Dave Holland has done some solo albums - like Emerald Tears

and NHOP has quite a few solo tracks on albums under his name....?
  12. pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    Gerry Mulligan "Pleyel Concert" (vol. 1, 2) with Bob Brookmeyer, Frank Isola and- first of all- Red Mitchell. He gives great examples of walking lines (melodic and very strong harmonically), playing up-tempos, beautiful solos... :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist:
  13. Edgar Meyer: Bach cello suites
  14. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    If you're new to DB and you want to get into jazz, definately check out the masters mentioned above like Paul Chambers, who has a 3 CD box set from Mosaic that is awesome (it contains most of his solo albums), Ray Brown, his own trio or with Oscar Peterson, Oscar Pettiford, Jimmy Blanton...

Did anyone mention Larry Grenadier yet.....!?
  15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Besides the PC-as-leader records, I'd also recommend GROOVY - Red Garland Trio (w/PC and Art Taylor)
    MOTION - one of the unsung greats of melodic quarter note playing, Sonny Dallas on bass with Lee Konitz and Elvin Jones. A MUST HAVE!!!
  16. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I agree with Ed. The Red Garland Trio records are great. PC is also on "A Garland of Red," and he takes some great arco and pizz solos on these records. "Bright and Breezy" is cool too, with Sam Jones on bass.

A few more suggesstions:

Sonny Rollins: Way Out West with Ray Brown
    Slam Stewart: Slam Bam
    Wilbur Ware Quintet: Chicago Sound
    Hampton Hawes: Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes with Red Mitchell

Also, an AMAZING duo record is Duke Ellington with Ray Brown, called "This One's For Blanton." It's a tribute album to Jimmy Blanton and Ray's bass sound is unbelievable! He really stretches out on this record because it's a of my favorites!

There's so many great records!