1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double bass machine repair

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Will Hughes, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Will Hughes

Will Hughes

Feb 23, 2009
    Hey,

Recently one of the machines on my DB packed in so I sent the part off for repair..... repair it they did but it's been lost in the post on it's return journey - for some reason they sent it back in the standard post and not recorded post. Swine. They wanted the whole side plate with machines (D&G) which I promptly sent so now I'm faced with finding a whole new plate and machines.

After speaking to the shop and various other sources it seems that this maybe not so easy; the post spacing centres between the two tuners is 9.5cm - apparently not so common - and also I'm having trouble finding a plate of the same shape. I'm thinking that maybe the solution is to have a bepoke one made for me though how much this will cost me I'm unsure but I'm guessing much more than it should do if I still had my plate. It's possible that someone will be able to point me in the right direction of an existing replacement of the right size and shape - I've found plates with those centres but they look different and I love this bass so I'm eager to have it looking like it did before.

I don't know much about the instrument except that it's Romanian and up to 40 or 50 years old but probably no older. Also there's a sticker indside the body that says Cathedral. If anyone could suggest the best course of action for me to take it would be greatly appreciated because I'm currently sans-bas and to be honest it totally sucks.

The dimensions of the plate vary depending on where the measurements are taken so I've taken them from the centre of one end to the other and the centre of one side to the other:
    End to end - 20cm
    Side to side - 5.5cm
    Length of D post - 5cm
    Length of G post - 6cm

I've attached a picture of the now-lost plate so you can see what I'm on about so if you can help in any way or need any additional information then please do get in touch.

Many thanks

Will

Attached Files:

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I don't know how much help this is but it seems to me that the folks who lost your tuners should be the ones looking for a replacement for you.

3. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    I've had those exact same machines on a Romanian flatback I used to have. They are absolute junk. My guess is that the issue you're facing is that the shaft rounded out and would no longer hold the string tension. The metal they make those shafts out of is almost as soft as lead. If I were you, I'd throw those junkers out and get some good Rubner plates to replace them. When I did this, the Rubner plates I got were almost an exact match so I didn't have to plug the holes in the pegbox and redrill.

These are the plates I got.

4. I have a set of four individual Rubners that I picked up cheap and was saving for a project. Want them?