Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Bass PC Wallpaper?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Andy Allen, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Once again I had to reformat and re-install both my laptop and desktop PCs (thanks, Microsloth - my iMac is doing just great).

Just trying to brighten them up with some bass-related wallpaper (1024x768 or larger) - does anyone know where there might be pictures of beautiful basses available on the web for such purposes?

Perhaps the "Talkbasses" pictures could be offered at hi-res for this purpose?

Andy
    (airbass)

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hey Andy, Tell me what bass pic on the Talkbasses site you would like a background made of, and I'll crack open photoshop and whip something up, provided the owner of said bass doesn't mind (they own the copyright on those images, so I had to ask. I really doubt anyone would mind a bit more fame).

3. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks John -

They're all beautiful, but that wood on the Arnold Schnitzer would particularly benefit from high-res treatment, I think.

Andy

4. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks arto,

I've been wary of screensavers so far, because my Windoze PCs are unreliable enough without that extra burden. But what the heck - I'll try it anyway....

Andy

5. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Andy, which Window$ OS are you using? I had a bit of trouble with Bob's screen saver on an ME machine a few years ago, but everything is trouble on that OS. If your computers have the required power (say 750 proc and 256+ RAM) you may enjoy an OS upgrade to XP. Then your machines will stand up to your Mac.

I'll fiddle around with a background of Ahnold's bass tonight, or at least soon.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Go XP Pro. I think the other versions are put out by embedded spies from Sun/Netscape/Mac to frustrate people into buying into the anti-Microsoft ferver. I've been on NT and now XP Pro (really the current revis of NT) since '95 and all of my machines have been stable as stable can be.

7. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm running Windoze XP home version on both laptop and desktop, and while some functions are better than WIN98 it's not as stable, and it's annoying when stuff (like the desktop-PC CD burner this time) just doesn't work all of a sudden and needs the drivers re-installed or something. And every year or so it just grinds to a halt and needs a good re-format & re-install. Oh, and I'm an electronics and computing major (many years ago, mind you), so I've paid my dues in computer-land.

I wouldn't think anything was amiss, except my wife's I-Mac chuggs away on the other side of the room and does everything perfectly. Don't tell her, but when I get in late from a gig and she's asleep I use it to do the clever stuff I need. With nary a problem I might add.

Looking forward to that Ahnold wallpaper...

Andy

8. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    OK here are the first of the 3, the "Warburton" desktop. I couldn't let that tongue-out picture go by without messing with it, could I? it's just a quick slap-together of sorts.
    Pick your resolution, those w. 800x600 res can use the 1024, set to "stretch".
    Warburton 1280x1024
    Warburton 1024x768

I'll have Ahnold's done tomorrow (2 of them), just want to add a few finishing touches.

9. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  10. Since John did the Warbohmann Desktop, I thought i'd give everone a break by pulling my other "TONGUE' post. Too much of a good thing?

11. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  12. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very nice, thanks John.

The first one at the higher res looks great on my 20" desktop monitor, and I'll put the black and white one on my laptop: very classy, I must say. :)

Can't use the "newspaper" one though - that pic of Poor WornButton scares my kids :eek:

Andy

13. No problem air, I hate kids! :spit:

14. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Surely not, Paul...

Tell you what, I'll lend you mine for a week or so, so that you can reconnect with your inner child, and rediscover the wonder of youth. (actually they're only 4yrs and 1yr, but I'm angling for a week off :p )

Hell, for that week off I'll deliver them in person to you in CO.... :D

Andy
    (airbass)

15. No thanks Andy, i'll stick with basses. Already did the other.

16. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey Andy, I'm glad you liked them. If anyone else wants something specific done, just holler.

17. Thank you Arnold, and Thank you John.
    I've had the Schnitzer colour wallpaper on my work 'puter for a week now, and I'm surprised at how an occassional quick glimpse of that magnificent instrument can brighten my day. :)

18. John Sprague

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY