1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double bass question

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Michael Case, Oct 21, 2009.

1. I have read that at one point you played both electric and double bass. Do you still play double bass? and if not would you care to explain? I ask because I started on electric then took up double bass much later. Currently, I have a love/hate relation with the double bass and would like to know how and why you decided to play only the electric.

Thanks,

Mike

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    I have played double bass on occasion in my career, but really only for pop tours that have required me to do so for just a couple of songs. I haven't owned one for quite a while, and have no intention of getting another one anytime soon...

I think it's just such a different instrument from the electric bass that it's like taking up the bassoon, timpani, or any other instrument for that matter. I barely have time for one, and that happens to be the electric bass.

Easy,

Janek

3. Thank you.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think going from BG to DB completely changes your way of playing and even your musical philosophy - it requires a whole new way of thinking about music!

5. Well yes Bruce I know that. I've been playing DB for almost 11 years now. I've been through the ringer with it. I'm just not as inspired to practice and play DB as I used to be. My electric playing has changed as a result of playing DB.