Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Muff Settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jul 7, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Is their anyway I can set the Double Muff to not have fuzz come through, just distortion?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Hunky Tonk, Take me by the hand
    Hunky Tonk, Pretty Mama
    Dance with your daddy all night long.

Sorry I can't help with your settings problem, but I really like the polyphonic ending to the song in your sig.

3. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I noticed that you use a Big Muff too, its a nice pedal for bass.

I wouldn't mind someone answering this question, but I don't really need an answer because now I'm happy with the sound this thing is giving me. I change my mind a lot. :smug:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. The muff is a fuzz circuit. Add another and it's fuzzier. No distortion here ;)

5. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yep. I like to use one. It's just the Double Muff was cheaper.

How did you customize your Muff?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Couple swapped caps mostly. A resistor or two swapped and a different LED for the electronics. Then the BOSS type power adapter and Gibson knobs.

Couldn't tell you exactly. I sold it.

7. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    No!!! The Double Muff won't work on the Jazz Bass I just bought. WHY?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What do you mean doesn't work?

Maybe gremlins decided to unplug your bass when you weren't looking ;)

9. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    No. It sounds like a clean bass with no effects! There's no fuzz. I've tried changing all the settings on the amp, the bass, and the Muff.

10. did you press the big silver switch to engage the effect? do you have your bass plugged into the input then the output going to your amp? do you have a fresh new battery or a working adapter?

11. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yes. Yes. Yes, I just recently put in this battery.

12. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Oh... My other bass in single muff mode was more than enough fuzz for me. To get that sound with my Jazz Bass I just had to put it on a low setting in double muff mode. Awesome.

That really had me scared.

:D

13. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Where do I get these caps and how do I replace them? And Tplyons, what was the point of swapping resistors, does this make for more low end too?

:confused: help me out.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sorry for the delay, was out in West Virginia fixing homes.

You can get the caps from Radio Shack or Mouser.com or smallbearelec.com. Swapping resistors doesn't add more low end, but swapping film resi's for carbon comp's warmed up the sound a bit.

Replacement is easy. Heat and remove solder from leads, put new one in place and solder.

If you're not confident to do it yourself, have someone else do it.

15. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Ok, thanks.

16. And the little electronicky wire thingys are plugged into the little round holey thingys... :p