1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double neck project complete

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DoubleL, Apr 20, 2010.

1. DoubleL

DoubleL

Jan 2, 2007
    North Wales
    Here's my double neck project finally done.

It's basically two cheap P-bass style bodies cut up and glued together by a local carpenter. The top neck is a Squier VM fretless neck and the bottom is a cheapy Silvertone fretted. It's wired up as a normal P-bass with a neck selector and Kent Armstrong hot vintage pickups. The chameleon paint finish was my first attempt at doing a real paint job and it came out reasonably OK.

It's pretty huge but not as heavy as you might expect and quite playable on a strap or sitting down. Ideally I was going to get a lefty neck for the bottom to allow them to be closer together but I couldn't find one at a reasonable price. I might still replace the bottom neck with another Squier one if I can find one, to make it match better.

dbl3.

dbl1.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I can't decide if it's supercool or butt ugly.
    If nothing else it will get you seen.
    More power to you.

3. COOL!!

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very Cool, I like it!
    Well done.

5. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I like the plumbers crack. Very original.
    I love this bass.

6. ^ haha yep its got a butt crack.

Its sweet , a matching squier neck would make it look way better.

7. Hi.

"A Smiling Workman", like said over here :).

Regards
    Sam

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Love it! Looks great to me, good job :bassist:

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    It's cool. The paint looks alright. Definitely unique.

On the constructive criticism side, the pickguards could have been cut together a bit better, or better yet a single pickguard covering both halves.

Nonetheless, I'd rock that without hesitation.

10. Really nice job. +1 to above comments re pg ad matching necks, but really terrific overall. Have fun with it!

11. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Looks like it turned out ok. Color's not my thing though. Now you can cross it off your gas list.
    I've been thinking about doing this, but with a six string guitar and four or five string bass.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Talk about mudflaps, my bass's got them.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Looks cool! Good job.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Well done, thats really cool!

15. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Great job. Totaly not my thing, but still great workmanship. It takes vision and imagination to do a project like this...... Enjoy!

16. very cool! a matching leftie squier neck would be a perfect treat!

17. DoubleL

DoubleL

Jan 2, 2007
    North Wales
    Yay, thanks for the great comments!

I wondered if anyone would notice the, urm, buttocks, and on the back there's a dimple where the cutaway from the bottom body was smoothed out too.

Regarding the pickguards, I'd absolutely love to it to have one giant pickguard, but cutting one is way beyond my skills. As it was, cutting the top one was my first ever go with a Dremel, hence why it's a bit rough.

18. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    That is quite simply awesome.
    Only change I would make (and this is a personal thing) is colour. I think a nice metallic black would suit it really well.

19. I like the two pickguard approach. The bottom one might need some adjusting, but I dig the approach.

20. :p spinal tap!