double stopping

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by btbassist, Jul 2, 2004.

1. what is double stopping, and how do you do it? :confused:
  2. Double Stops are two-note chords.
  3. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    There are a few different ways to play a double stop. You can pluck the strings with your thumb and first or second finger, or you can strum it with your thumb (or a pick).

Any two notes can be played together, but you have to determine what sounds good because some low notes tend to sound muddy. Play around with intervals. Wide intervals sound good. 10ths sound good as well as 5ths.
  4. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Oh, another way to play a double stop, which I find works quite nicely with playing a 4th or 5th intervals (or close intervals where the strings are next to each other) is to pluck with the 1st and 2nd fingers while the thumb rests on the string below (EX: A on the D string, D on the G string, with the thumb resting on the A string).
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    "Double stop" is a term that comes originally from violin technique. It s called a double stop because you are stopping two strings simultaneously.

There's no such thing as a two note chord. In order for a chord to be made you need at least three notes, a root, a third and a fifth.

The most usable double stops tend to be major/minor thirds and perfect fifths, that when used sparingly and tastefully can enhance sections of a song.

I think y'all would benefit a lot from Jazzbo's Introduction to chord and scale theory.

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Blackbird is right. There is by definition of a chord, no such thing as a two-note-chord. Without repeating other things that he said, probably the most popular double stop in the bass world would be the index/middle finger plucked perfect 4th. Very popular and very cool when used tastefully. I really enjoy doing major/minor thirds too. They have very nice tone colors again when used right. I used to stop 6ths in my old band a long time ago too. That's always kind of interesting.
  7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Some of the most common double stops used by bassists are Maj and Min 10ths. The reasons are a 10th defines major or minor, it's a great enough interval that it isn't cluttered or muddy sounding in the low register and it's easy to play as it sits very nicely on the bass. Practicing different scales playing the linear scale tones and their corresponding 10ths is a good start to getting these things under yer hands and in yer ears.
  8. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Its nice to play double stops up around the 12 fret on any string, then to build up into a chorus type deal or just to end the song, start moving up to the 5 fret. I use these a lot.