Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double thump exercises

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Feb 2, 2005.

1. I'm looking for anything to improve my double thump speed AND more importantly mobility around the bass. All left hand positions and over all four strings. I'm thinking just to run scales but that gets boring after about five minutes.

2. Hi dude,

I know I posted this before and you've probably seen it - but these videos do illustrate working up thumb strokes and finger plucks on each string. Also try and mix in the whole open-hammer-pluck thing - try learning a bass groove - along the line of 'Me and my bass guitar' - that bassline uses all four strings and obviously grooves like a mutha ;)

Try and get past just the technique and start trying to groove with it - I know it's not easy but also try working on arpeggios - they obviously (normally) involve using more than one string - I play a couple on the second video here:

http://www.munkio.com/music/music_lessons.html

I hope that helps a bit

M

3. Mahlon

Mahlon

Jan 27, 2005
    Bennettsville SC
    Is that you in those videos??? Holy Cow Batman. How long you been playin'? :eek:

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

I believe that Urb has been practicing double-thumb for 9 years now (don't know how long he's been playing), so no need to get frustrated if your only been playing 2 years :D

5. Can someone explain to me what double-thumb is? I know it's a very stupid and childish question, but I'm new to these stuff, and I have't been schooled so I don't much of those expressions, plus I'm danish...

6. :eek: :eek: :eek: urb, it's sooo crazy your videos, especially the last one (classical thump), i'm sooo impressed!