1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double thumping error

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dideah, Dec 8, 2011.

1. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    I've been practicing double thumping for a while I can get the right sound now but I have this problem occasionally when I down thump my thumb will get stuck onthe string and not go through do you guys ever have that problem what angle should I attac the string I attack it straight mynarm and wrist has the same position as normal slapping except my thump is parallel to the string

2. Periods should come more than once a month.

3. OP: Sorry. I really can't work out what you are trying to say.

4. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    Cause your a guitarist :cool:. :bag:

5. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I double thumb at the base of the fingerboard a la Chuck Rainey. That gives me two backstops-the string below the one I'm playing and the fingerboard itself. If you are trying to double-thumb too close to the bridge your thumb can get caught between strings.

6. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    This Marlowe vid illustrates the sound difference between using double thumb as a picking technique or slap technique. As a picking technique the only little thing I find takes evening out is the sound of the nail on the upstroke.

Fast doublethumb picking bass - YouTube

7. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Wow, I've never watched any of his videos but he's got a great way of showing the technique. I've never been much of a slapper but I'm going to have to work on this.

8. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011

9. dideah

dideah

May 16, 2011
    I never double thumb close to the bridge I do it just before the fretboard I see some people do it at the end of the fretboard is that the right way . There is not enough space for me to do it on the fretboard

10. anonymous111813

anonymous111813 Guest

Mar 1, 2011
    I guess you are striking the strings too hard.

Try exercises like these:

------------------------7-7-9-9-77-------
    -------------------9-9--------------9-9-
    -7-7--9-9-10--10-----------------------
    ----------------------------------------

First play 8th notes, and then 16th notes!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  11. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    I have my thumb parallel to the string and resting on one or two of the last frets on the bass neck. This puts my plucking fingers right in the space between the neck pickup and the neck. The only bass I have where this doesn't work easily is my Alembic Series I but it can even work there if you're careful. If you watch some videos of Victor Wooten and Anthony Wellington you'll see that they are using very limited motion, that helps as well. It won't work at all if you're using the Flea/Old School New York technique of thumb perpendicular to the string.

12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    And once you get that down you'll never have to worry about having a gig again!

:) I kid, I kid.

13. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    That and 2-handed tapping will get you all the Nashville Session Work, dont'cha know! LOL

14. anonymous111813

anonymous111813 Guest

Mar 1, 2011
    If you want to practice it, try to get ot right, though.

May not get you gigs, but it sure is fun to double thump! :bassist: