1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"double tone" when I hit the string on the fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Norseman, Aug 14, 2012.

1. When I press my finger on an open string above the 7th fret the string sings on both side of the fret. This makes the bass pretty much unusable.... The problem is that this is a wonderful Yamaha BB5000....

Any ideas dudes?

2. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Du hører vel bare en av tonene i høtaleren antar jeg ?

3. nei.. det er DET som er pes!

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Try using a fat hair scrunchy as a mute at the nut.

5. odin70, who replied as post #2 said: "only one of the tones is audiable out of the speakers I guess ?" then I replied "no, that is the problem"

6. Sorry, I don't get it.. Could you please explain?

7. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    weird..I have no experience with that.

8. are you familiar with the problem if only the tone on the pickupside is audible out of the speakers?

9. Those things girls use to tie there hair back. Common practice among tappers.

10. Ok, now i get it. I use the neck from open strings all the way up.. Muting strings is an idea, but not for me Sir.

Do you know why is occour?

11. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    It is likely (i should say common) that the problem is with your muting technique (right and/or left hand)

Create the problem note, then, as it rings, place your palm across the E A &D strings and make sure its not from crosstalk and lazy technique

12. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    or do you mean that you're 'tapping' (one hands, no pluck) the 7th fret at the harmonic (on the g string youd hear open G and a high D)? In which case, thats how any bass will work..

13. I totally get your point..

The problem is on all strings from 7th fret and up. The double tone occure when I hit a fret on an open string above 7th.

But this does not happen on nor my Spectors or Tobias..

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Sounds like a sympathetic harmonic. It happens. Learn how to mute with your left hand?

15. that was a couple of hefty words.. :atoz:

i don't want 'em on my bass.. how do I get rid of 'em?

16. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Just use a women's hair tie, one of the bulky ones at the nut around the neck. It works as a mute. Or you could drop 30 bucks and buy one of the real deal neck string mutes.

17. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Ah..
    Is your nut abnormally high?
    Strange, indeed

18. nope.. as low as it gets without buzz..

19. it is 0.8mm or 0.0314 inches at the first fret at E A + D and .75mm on the G(string).