Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doubleneck, EADG - BEAD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, May 24, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Does anyone know any companies that make doubleneck basses that I could have tuned EADG and BEAD? I know Sheehan has a custom one from Yamaha. And are doubleneck basses generally super expensive?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why not just get a 5? :confused:

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Doublenecks are typically pretty expensive, yes. I was quoted just over 3 grand for one from Warwick, and hell, 13 grand for a 4 or 5 string double somewhat like JT's from Conklin =0).

But I personally want a double for either fretted/fretless or standard/piccolo at the same time, not really decided yet. Why would you specifically go for BEAD/EADG? Not a flame, just a genuine question.

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    i dunno i have a problem with 5's, i know it would be more logical and economical but like i dunno 5's just make me cringe, I'm weird like that. I could probably work a 6er though.. but I just prefer 4's for some odd unknown reason.

this is off topic but does GK make good basses? Cause i was at a local band show and the guy played a 6 string Gk that looked nice (like very nice), but i couldn't tell if it was a good bass or not, he's a crazy bassist though! I was unable to find an info on GK basses on the net... :eyebrow:

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gk? as in gallien-kruger? i wasn't aware that they were making basses....

6. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Could it have been a "GB" bass? Those are quite nice from what I read. The only amp maker that also has basses out, to my knowledge, is Hartke. (oh, and Peavey of course!)

7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    fender you silly billy! and, No its definately GK. I found a gallien kruger site, its the same logo... but i didn't see basses on the site. My store where i take my lessons HAD a 4 string. it just looked like a p-bass. but it was like blueburst with a white pickguard and the blue was sparkly. I played it for 30 mins once, kinda felt like it was gonna crack... and the store only sells crap, and like pre-beginner basses so i reckon they cant be that good... but the one the guy played was super nice. it was like wood, with a more darker wood set on the top of the body and it said GK on the body. it had 2 of those big square pickups with the black pastic covers (soapbars i believe you guys refer to them as.). I think it had active electronics and a pretty neat headstock (no name on it). the knobs and tuners were like a dull matte brushed steel kinda.

8. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    doh - Fender. my bad. *smacks forehead* - If no name on the head but it said GK on the body, here's a stretch for ya: is it possible somebody just stuck a GK Badge or nameplate on the thing? In all these years of playing (about 10-12 years now) I've never heard of a gallien-krueger instrument. *scratchin' head*

9. Build one with Warmoth parts.

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I know what you mean. I find 4 string basses a little too cumbersome so had a double neck custom made. it's strung E,A and the second neck is D,and G. :D

11. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    warmoth only has doubleneck guitars and a doubleneck bass/guitar body - no bass/bass body available. Guess he could slice'n'glue a pair of bass bodies together...

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    The guy is just a kid, he's only 16, same age as me, He wouldn't go to all that toruble. It's definately a stock bass. Gawd he's good though, uber Les Claypool wannabe but damn :eek: and the GKJ is painted on, and gloss finished like the rest of the body.

13. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    BC Rich makes a doubleneck Mockingbird I believe. Check out Derek Smalls :D

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    They give you a choice of pickup and bridge/trem routs on the geeteer side why not ask for another bass :smug:

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Fender Custom Shop made a double J bead-eadg for Tim Cummerford of Audioslave and Rage Against the Machine. Black body, maple necks, I think.

There were some pics of it in a thread here, but I haven't been able to find it.

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I thought it was sunburst... Fred will be along once he wakes up with pics, I'm sure. :bassist:

17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Could be!