Douglas WVEB-833 VS 34 Long Scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gerryjazzman, May 3, 2017.

1. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just got the latest Rondo Music email. They now have the Douglas WVEB-833 violin bass in long scale. Has anyone else seen this? I just emailed Kurt asking if they will have a fretless version in long scale. If so, I'm there. I do have two other fretless basses, 90's MIJ Fender Jazz and a heavily modified Brice Z6 fretless as well as an upright, but the price of these Douglas violin's is too tasty not to give a go. My only hesitation has been that the standard violins are short scale which is a show stopper for me. Any one else interested in seeing a long scale fretless version of this?

Douglas WVEB-833 VS 34 Long Scale - RondoMusic.com

2. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Not really. There's better ergonomics out there for semi hollow 34s then the violin shape. My 30" violas have a 34" feel on the reach to the 1st fret already, that's part of the charm for me. A 34" scale violin would have a reach that would make a thunderbird blush. JMO but the "no money above the 5th fret" style of playing on that would result in surgery.

fermata likes this.
  3. fermata

fermata Guest

Nov 10, 2015
    So I "liked" @blue4's post--but as he points out, there's not much to like about a 34" violin bass. The first fret will be playing at a different venue than the stage you're on. Maybe it would work to have one person take care of the left hand and another to take on the right hand duties. And someone else to hold the headstock--can you say neck dive? Nah, the short scale violin bass is a good design, and other (semi)-hollows have the long scale angle covered.

blue4 likes this.
  4. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I hear you guys. Well, I got a response from Rondo. Looks like they're not planning on a fretless version anyway:

"Thank you for your message. I am not aware that we will have a fretless long scale Douglas WVEB-833. At this point, the Douglas WVEB-833 VS 34 Long Scale in the only long scale version available for the WVEB model."

So unless anyone really thinks a long scale violin bass is desirable, I'm guessing these may not sell well.

5. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Doesn't hurt to ask. I pestered rondo for a SS ash jazz bass and they ended up putting one out. I may not have had anything to do with it, but it couldn't have hurt.

6. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    They had a Douglas Clubman-style proto that I missed buying. I'd get that ina heartbeat and told Kurt so.

I like short scale so not interested in the long, but my Dougherty violin plays and sounds great.

7. fchazz

fchazz

Sep 6, 2014
    Orlando, Florida
    Hi, I would love to have this bass in a frettless version!!!

8. Stronglori

Stronglori

Aug 15, 2021
    Moscow, Russia