1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Down to one

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jan 10, 2012.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Over the past couple years, I decided I was going to work effects into what I do, even though my gigs aren't really effects driven styles of music (oldies of the 50's, 60's and 70's, with some occasional sub work doing modern and classic hard rock). At one point I had 8 pedals on my board, including a Digitech Whammy Pedal, but that was the first to go because all I was using was the detuner for chorus, and I hated chorus back in the 80's and I discovered I still hate it now, so why bring a 50 lb chorus pedal?

Eventually I scaled down to an envelope filter (usually the Boss SYB-3's auto filter), a Micro Pog, an OC-2, a modded Tech 21 British or a Hartke Bass Attack, and a VT Deluxe. The envelope filter ended up getting used on part of one song just for fun, and I'd get dirty looks from everyone else when I used it any other time, so off it went after a couple months. The OC-2 was really cool on Hollywood endings on our last song of each set, and occasionally I might find a song where an 8-string bass type sound with the Micro Pog worked.

Turns out the only effect that seems to work for me in my bands is a little overdrive, so I'm now down to the VT Deluxe as my only effect, and really, if I didn't need the splitter function to double on upright and the Ampeg emulations for when I'm forced to run DI, I'd probably just bag it, too. I'm not happy about it...now I have all these pedals I'm not using and I love pedals. I need to start a band where I can use pedals and have some fun. But I don't want to take the pay cut. So I'm advertising for a band in the Central Fla area that can work around my current schedule, play music where I need lots of pedals, and pay me really well. Any takers?

:D

2. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    You should really advertise for your new band in the guitar and drums forums, unless you want a band with 4 bass players :)
    Good luck with you new project Jimmy!

3. PuffusMaximus

PuffusMaximus

May 31, 2011
    a band with 4 basses sounds like an amazing idea

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Who's going to pay to hear a band with 4 bassists? I want money!

5. i love effects, but my current gigs require verrrrry little. the band i play guitar for, its overdrive, an occasional chorus and delay. and when i play bass, its just overdrive and occasional chorus.

do i want to run 3 gonkulators and a whammy? yea. is it every applicable? not really.

6. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    A band with 4 bass players and a lot of pedals, hmm I'm not sure.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well maybe I could be the only one allowed to have pedals.

8. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    Dude, I completely understand. Currently I'm in an Americana/ folk band and the only things I really use are my tuner and occasionally a pre amp for a little bass boost. It sucks. No dirt, no octave, no delay. I'm currently looking into things like reverb and compression to try and work stomp boxes back into my life!

9. I used to use quite a few pedals in my original band that played through the 90s - wah, envelope filter, phaser, distortion, delay etc. We did a reunion gig last month, and I only own a compressor and a tuner these days. I borrowed one of our guitarists' old wah pedals (for guitar) and it was ok but not ideal - not enough volume or low end. Other than that, I honestly didn't miss the effects during the actual gig. I have half-jokingly thought of doing gigs with a few other local bassists, but it's never gone beyond a running joke on Facebook.

10. itamshredding

itamshredding

Jan 3, 2012
  11. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    A Spinal Tap cover band, silly....

12. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    yer committing a minor crime just playing that elec-teric thing, you know, I'm sure you know that. Unless yer bass is electric washtub or a Mustang with 3 strings you found in the back yard. could use some slap-back with that, there.
    ps this idiom employed me on another instrument for a number of years, so I am joking with respect... of course it was an acoustic instrument commonly found in circus bands.

13. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    I do own a 3/4 size upright that I adore, but between everyone elses gear and the PA, it just doesn't fly. I'm looking into fretless necks to bridge the gap a bit.

14. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    Soooooo... what style of effects-driven music will this Floridian band be playing, mmmmm? I hear there's a big death-metal scene there. :D

15. ...I am down to 2, Jimmy: Line 6 Bass Pod and Korg Pandora. Yeah; it's only 2 boxes but litterally hundreds of features and options. I agree that these offer only tuning and "emulations" ; some far from duplicating that actual sound or tone, but this way I can experiment to my heart's delight..at home.. and only use what is actually required at a gig.

Hindsight being 20-20 I didn't know about the "floor pods" when I got my Line 6 butter bean, or I would be down to 1. Advantage being the audio-aux-in feature on floor units VS butter beans. The Pandora has nearly all of that, plus audio-aux-in, as well as drum patterns and looping capabilities. I love both and I'm keeping both.

16. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Forgot to mention I've 5 pedals on my board, but two of them are my sansamps, the Oxford and the PBDDI. I use only one of them at a time as they are my preamps. My other pedals are the EBS multicomp, the Bad Monkey and my Grombass. So only compressor and OD/ distortion pedals.

17. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    You could target music that used more effects. For example, you could start an 80's pop cover band. There is enough phaser/flanger/chorus/filter effect in that decade alone to last you a lifetime of music.

I find the sound of my bass all by itself to be kinda bland. I like the added sound of a harmonic growl, or some fuzz. If I want "purity" of sound, I will use my Kala U-Bass for that acoustic bass sound.

18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Opposing viewpoint: what about players who are undeniably talented and innovative, for whom effects are a central part of what they do?

Robert Fripp, The Edge, the bass player from Muse, and Bootsy in his prime come to mind.

These are guys whom, without the effects, would not sound like themselves.

BTW, I like a good, clean, uneffected tone too, and to Jimmy's implied point, most of us get farther on that than we would by ladling on the juice. But I'm not sure we can objectively call effects "bad".

19. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    I can sympathize. I had some good fun using my POG into a fuzz in a 3 piece band when the guitarist would solo or play some single note lines.
    However, the fun was short lived because we added a 2nd guitarist and the POG was no longer necessary.

20. ninepoundjammer

ninepoundjammer Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm pretty much in the same boat, though I never really had any illusions of really using all my fun filters, octaves, etc with any of the bands I play with currently. Here's what I bring to gigs:

photo%252520%2525284%252529.

And here are all my toys to play with at home. Just because I don't use them live, doesn't make them any less fun :bassist:

photo%252520%2525283%252529.

I even have a couple more filters sitting in boxes that I rotate into use.

I don't have any problems with this situation.