1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Downgrading my amp, but what to?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jobiebass, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Ive currently got a Marshall vba400 full valve head with 412 Marshall VBC cab.
    I love it, I love the tone and I love how it looks.

The biggest problem is the head, in its fight case it weighs around 7 stone. And the other thing is I really dont need something that loud as im not giging at the moment. I really need to find something more portable and compact for just taking to the practice room etc.

Ive tried Ashdown head/cab, im not a fan. I still want a 412cab I think.

Any Suggestions?
    Any help would be great, im a noob when it comes to amps/cabs.

Thanks

2. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    I should really state what I want out of it, I play mainly with a Modulus Flea bass, sometimes a Stingray. I play indy/funk/rock.

Thanks.

3. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Have you considered trying one of the newer lightweight heads? I have heads by Genz Benz and Eden that are excellent performers, and very light. As for your 412, maybe you could consider two 212 cabs instead. (I really like my Aguilar 212 and Genz Benz 212)

4. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    What about the Berg NV412? or go modular with 212 or 2 112s

5. if you are looking for something cheap go for the behringer stuff
    or for portability theres a light weight head from GK and genz benz

6. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    I was looking at the Aguilar 212, what are they like to own? had any problems with them? whats the tone like?

thanks

7. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Wouldnt say cheeper, Hoping id get around the £650 mark for selling my rig, so hoping to pick something up roughly the same price 2nd hand.

edit: if behringer amps/cabs are anything like their pedals ill be staying away :D

8. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    In my opinion, the Aguilar 212 is one of the better cabinets on the market today. It is comparatively light, with excellent tone. It is front ported, so the low end is really in your face and compares to 15's. The 12's are fuller sounding then 10's, but still offer fast attack and mid range punch. I own 5 cabinets, and the Aguilar is my favorite. (GS 212) I am currently looking for another.

BTW. No problems, and very durable. I keep the casters off for maximum low end response.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There's plenty to choose from, I'm sure you'll find something that makes you happy, but just a word of caution. You're giving up a mighty nice rig because you're not presently gigging. What if that changes in the future? Be sure you won't have any regret, that's a sweet Marshall set up, it'd be hard to replace.

10. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Ampeg SVT-3 Pro????
    Could run that thru my VBA412 cab too I guess and just sell my head.

Got kinda the valve thing going on and my pedal has an ampeg setting which sounds lush, not actually payed one though.

If I get one, keep the VBA cab or something better? im happy to stay with a 4x12. Suggestions?