1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downside to multi-effects.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EBMan, Jun 14, 2007.

1. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    Yesterday, in a moment of weakness, I decided that I was going to trade my GT-6B in on a Phase 90, Little Big Muff and Nano Baseballs. I sort of forgot why I traded them off in the first place, along with a bunch of other pedals.

I was offered $100 for a less than 3 month old unit. I remember being offered $25 for a relatively new $150 DigiTech BP200 in the past. This is because the technologies of the multi-effects change whereas many of the singles are essentially being made the same today as 30 years ago. Technology is less likely to render them obsolete.

The morale here: "Be absolutely sure you want a multi-effect before purchasing a new one; keep track of your return window & terms; or purchase used."

Having said all of that, I'm glad my deal fell through. My wife reminded me of all the reasons I traded off my singles. That's what I get for surfing the Internet. I'm back in love with the GT-6B.

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If the GT6B works for you, that's all that matters. Personally, I prefer the flexibility of individual pedals.

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I contemplate buying individual pedals all the time. In fact I ordered a BYOC Lazy Sprocket last week. I have a pedal board in my mind with some really nice individual pedals but for now I'm sticking with my B2. The fact is, I use some effects on the B2 that I would never buy individually. I doubt I would ever buy another chorus or phaser or delay. I've had all of these in the past but didn't end up keeping them.

4. i like most multi-fx but not ones that you cant use some of th eeffects at the same time.

the first one i got was a shamefull buy it was a zoom 506, about 2 hours on 4 AA batteries.

it was good, had alot of good effects but if you wnated to use flange and chorus at the same time, no.

echo and octaver?

no...

ooh i know! chorus with a lovely bit of echo to give it a strange sound, no.......hmmm what can i do?

chorus and fuzz. -retches-

you could use up to 8 effects at once, though if you dont like un-usable EQs and preamps then its more like 4.

they has different banks, each one you could use one effect from.

bank one: compresser, limiter, fat wah, resonating wah. that ones not too bad but wah and compresser you wouldnt be able to do.

next one, clean 1, clean 2, fat, slap, drive, vintage, fuzz, thrash. again that ones a pretty good choice.

next: chorus 1, chorus 2, flange, synth, octave. now, i for one love the sound of a chorus and flange together, and chorus and octaver so that was pretty annoying.

last one: delay, hall room. the best, cause who would want delay and an echo on at once?

oh and the only other usefull one has phase in it.

make sure you can use the ones you want!!

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    There is a certain mojo to individual effects that is hard to explain. It can become a huge investment and used pedals dont have the best re sale value, but damm its fun!

Some people collect stamps!

6. Damn right. I have a ME-50b and some effects are grouped together and those of the same group can't be used at the same time. I still prefer it to singles though. I have a profound dislike for cables so having just the tuner, volume, wah and a few decent effects in a single box is well worth it. Plus multi-effects are relatively easy to find on the used market.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021