1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downsizing Suggestions (Carvin B1500)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassman7PM, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    It really pains me to do this but I've come to terms that the power and size plus my age and back don't need all that the Carvin B1500 has to offer. Seeing all of the micro amps available and the awesome reviews I'm tempted to go that route, but I don' t want to lose the tonal capabilities that the B1500 offers. I'm running it through a GK410 NEO and will soon add a 212 NEO to the mix. So my question is this, what do you recommend as a suitable replacement?

What I'm considering so far are the:

Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 9.2
    Aguilar ToneHammer 500
    TC Electronics RH750
    Markbass Little Mark Tube 800

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The new Carvin BX1500, which is far lighter than the B1500, is your best choice because you’ll be able to overcome the fact you’ll be driving mismatched cabs.

Other than that I would consider selling the 410 and buying identical 212 cabs @ 8 ohms each.

3. +1

If you insist on a less than optimal mis-matching of cabs (not those cabs specifically, but any cabs) I would second the suggestion of a stereo amp to control the power distribution of the cabs.

4. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I just downsized a few months ago. Now I'm back with an SVT Classic.
    Class D power did not work for me. I had the STR, TH500, the Orange BT twice and a Stewart 1.2 power amp.
    If you play in venues with bad or inconsistant power, your tone will suffer drastically.

5. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    I'm the opposite. The older I get, the more I lust for vintage tone, tubes, and vibes.
    I just picked up an SVT-VR, and I have no desire to go micro or class D.
    Maybe if I'm still playing when I'm 60 I'll change my mind, but for now I'll lug the SVT.

6. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    If you really like your sound with the B1500, why not get a B2000. Much lighter at 14 pounds.

=wr=

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I believe there’s some truth to what you say because class D problems seem to happen across all manufacturers (albeit intermittently), and these problems seem to be related to inconsistent power sources. I have a pre-class D Carvin BX1200 and no problems yet. My old GK 700RB never had problems either. My new class D amps (Ampeg PF-350, Carvin BX250) have had no problems but I’ve only played them in a few locations, none of which are old crusty bars.

8. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Outdoor festivals and crusty bars have been a nightmare for me with class D recently. Clean power is not my reality.

9. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    wow, didn't know about these issues with class D amps.. does anyone know how they handle 2 ohm or maybe 11 ohm loads.. for a 3-10 cab I built?