DPA 4021 anyone tried one in jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Oct 5, 2005.

1. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    This guy I know who is a very in demand sound engineer and bassist has been telling me that the DPA 4021 is a superior mic to the AMT and that it is quite like having a KM 185 only very small (although with a full size capsule) and an interesting mounting system. Does anyone have any experience with this mic? He said that it has a very tight pattern like the AMT but a recording mic sound...
  2. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
  3. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Yikes...I'd still like to hear it though..
  4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
  5. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    yea but its an omni...
  6. oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    The great Danish bassist Mads Vinding swear by the DPA mics, model 4011 for live and 4021 for recording. He is known to have a fabolous sound. Check out his Trio record "The Kingdom", highly recommended.

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    DPA makes wonderful small diafram condensers.

I believe thats the mike they usd to mike Ray Brown on the Live at Starbuck CD.

8. This post is from Myrick, who gigs with a DPA 4021. I, too, was tempted to buy one, and sell my Neumann 185, but in the end I didn't do it. First, the DPA is more than two times as expensive than the 185 (at least here in Europe), and I doubt whether the sound would be noticeably better with the DPA. Moreover, on the one hand it might be less hassle to have a mic directly on your bass, instead of setting up a mic stand etc. Yet, I do like the idea that no cables or whatsoever are attached to my bass; that it really is an acoustic instrument, and not an electro-acoustic instrument (although, in the end, the bass still is amplified, so this argument might be less than convincing for some...). Plus, I am able to control my sound by altering the position of the bass relative to the mic. This really is an advantage! Nevertheless, the DPA is a very,very high quality product, and I am convinced it would work wery well with a bass, provided the rest of your gear is up to par, of course...