1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR DDT's 55-115

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BoomingBass, May 16, 2011.

1. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Hey, I'm thinking of getting the DR DDT strings in the 55-115 gauge. I want to go as low as possible with strings that are still capable of E Standard. Thank you for advice.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    When you say "as low as possible", do you mean in terms of tuning or your bass' action?

3. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Tuning

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Well the 115 will be okay at E but the 55 will be stupidly tight at G, these DDT sets are very bottom light and top heavy. If you're switching between tunings you need a tension balanced set like 120 85 65 50 (equal tension on each string), this will have roughly 50 pounds per string at EADG and can be tuned as low as BEAD.

Bad bassist likes this.
  5. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Although a really low action would be nice too.

6. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    C'mon Mat, give it a break; not only the DDT's, but most sets are bottom light and top heavy.
    Why?
    Just because most people seem to like it that way.
    Off course there are a lot of fans of balanced tension as well and you're probably the most famous exception who'll even go a step beyond to bottom heavy and top light. But that's all a matter of personal taste (and some adjusting to the music you play).

The 55 G will indeed be really tight, but there are lots of sets (Fender and GHS flats for instance) that are designed for normal tuning that come with a 55 G.

So yes, the 115 - 55 set can be used for normal tuning and you can downtune them a lot.
    Wether that would be practical, I doubt.
    When you change tuning that much, you have to redo your setup, probably even more than some simple tuss rod adjusting, so a second bass might be more convenient.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I hated them. The tone was dark and not very good, and the tension felt very artificial and unnatural.

Spend about the same amount of $$ and get Circle K's instead. And this is coming from a 12+ year DR Strings user.

8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Yes ... and yes agreed.

But consider that many bassists may well like it that way because that's what they're used too, that's what they started with and that's what they've always used, and why is this? ... because most sets are bottom light and top heavy. It's a cyclical thing.

When I say stupid-tight this is of course only my forthright opinion (63-67 pounds of tension).

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    63-67 is stupid-tight and this is objective not subjective!

Oh wait... no it's not, but so far my only beef with Circle K's has been the tone difference on my .124 Drop C set between the C and G (CGCF tuning) strings, the .124 sounds fat as hell and that's all good for that purpose, but I found I was happier with the .112 for C if I needed the tone that came with the thinner string and if I wanted to maintain relatively good tension on my C with the rest of the strings balancing out well too. I'd be ordering .112(or .118 sometimes) .084 .061 .043 for Drop C and being happy with that. The only thing I want now are stainless steel sets! Oh, this is a problem too I think:

4 String Set - Balanced Standard 118

Price: $25.00
    .118 .088 .064 .046

4 String Set - Drop Tune Standard 130

Price: $29.00
    .130 .088 .064 .046

4 String Set - Balanced Standard 112

Price: $25.00
    .112 .084 .061 .043

.118 .88 .64 .46 set by singles:
    Subtotal $37.00

10. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    BoomingBass, the reason I recommended equal tension strings is because if you set max. and min. practical tensions, for example 30-50 pounds, an equal tension set gives you the largest range of retuning. However, Krucial's point about practicality is spot on.

Yeah having 2 strings a fifth apart and at equal tension does create a big jump in gauge and therefore tone. When I first started tuning in fifths it just sounded wrong, but after a while I realised it was not a problem, I was just used to the tone jump of fourths tuning, it just took a while to acclimatise.

Apparently Circle K pricing is changing soon so that there will no longer be a price penalty for buying singles :)

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I really don't understand your experience with DDTs. I think they are amazing. I think it depends on your bass, I didn't love them on the spector I had, but on my modulus and fenders they are fantastic.

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I tried them on 3 different basses. Compared to the idea done right, hell even regular standard DR Lo Riders, they are terrible. It's a night and day difference between them and the CK's. I do not like or want/need that artificially high tension. Plus like I said, the tone is way, way too dark to record with. We tried it when I just put my set on, and I had to bust out my Charvel with Ernie Ball's b/c the tone was just not good at all.
    Plus the B string broke upon the initial setup/install. I didn't bother asking for a replacement... :oops:

Like I said, I've been a DR user for about the last 11 years and so I know their rep. These were just horrid.

13. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Imagine balanced tension Fat Beams...

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    :lol: :lol: