1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Hellborg strings on a 6 string bass.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Solofunkyjazz, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Solofunkyjazz

Solofunkyjazz

Sep 15, 2008
    Coventry UK
    I'd love to try a set of these, but they don't do a 6 string set, so I wondered has anyone added a low B and a high C.

What low B and high C did you use, and how good were the results.

2. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    there is no 5/6 string sets avail for the hellborg.

i guess the closest would be adding a B or C in hi-beam (probably closest in sound) or sunbeam (closest in material).

the feel of hellborgs are a bit different and going from a non-hellborg string to a regular string during playing may be distracting, i mean it wouldn't be as noticeable as going from a round to a flat, but there is a difference in the feel since the hellborgs are a single rap not multiple wraps like other strings.

i put hellborgs on my bass and played them hard for about a month. they were still pretty bright when i took them off, but i might stick with hibeams.

i'd love to go sunbeam, but GC never has them, and i get too lazy to just order them online.

mm

3. Why did you change them? Did you get tired of that sound?

Davo

4. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    no, the sound was okay. i almost got used to the feel, but they are barely rougher than regular rounds.

i still have the hellborg strings if i want to slap them on a bass. i might put them on my new redburst stingray http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471867 i probably won't even have to put the strings in acetate, they are still bright.

i just felt like putting hi-beams on the sunburst stringray bass that the hellborgs were on since i will be recording with it this weekend, and wanted to do a full set-up with new strings.

5. BassSpecialties

BassSpecialties Bass Specialties

Jul 30, 2006
    Philly
    Don't know about the high C string, but my DR rep sez there is a low B in the works in the Hellborg strings

6. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I'll check them out then...i have one 4, my P-bass...and that's my flatwound bass...

7. Yeah, I've talked to the DR people and the say that the only thing holding back a 5 or 6 string set is Helborg signing off on the project.

I asked why he was holding things up and they had no real answer outside of he was the one with the initial idea of doing the string and they felt that they should run that by him first before releasing 5 and 6 sets of his signature string.

I was told that they could be done as quick as the end of '08...almost makes me think they have them ready to go and are just waiting for his final approval.

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    From my sources I hear that Jonas Hellborg is fine-tuning the B string and maybe a 5str set will be debuted in winter NAMM. No plans for a 6str yet