DR Hi Beams rattling?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jackcrow, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    I’ve had this issue several times. Only with DR Strings (which I have used for a long time but have only had this issue recently). After I put these strings on I notice that there is a “rattle” sound when I hit the e string. Almost like a “sshhh” sound. It has happened before on other strings besides the e string. I bend them before cutting as per the instructions so I dont know really what is causing this. Here’s a video where I tried to capture the sound.

https://youtube.com/shorts/9ssHtyknYMo?feature=share

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Yup , sounds like a twisted string.
    I get that sometimes.
    Not just with DR
    I’m real careful about how I string basses these days. I never pre wrap around the post anymore.
    I bend the string, cut it, then stick the end in the tuner hole, wind the tuner allowing the string to wrap itself around the post. I pay close attention to keeping the string completely straight as it pulls.
    Ive had better luck avoiding that syndrome with this method.

Al Kraft, TK4261, tindrum and 4 others like this.
  3. Jackcrow

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    Yeah that’s the same way I do it. I’m extra careful to make sure the string isn’t twisted but I guess it’s possible.

Yahboy likes this.
  4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    It’s frustrating and drives me nuts. I can’t have it. I immediately open a new pack and restring the offender. That causes the rest of that set to be wasted
    Sometimes I think just bending and cutting is enough to compromise the string, it that’s how they say to do it so I do it.
    I recently got four sets of DRs with dead E strings. It was obviously a run of bad strings.
    Both DR and sweetwater were very willing and helpful to get them replaced.

Al Kraft and Jackcrow like this.
  5. Jackcrow

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    Yeah I’ve gotten some dead DR’s from the package before and they were happy to replace them for me.

I haven’t had this issue with strings with silk on them. But yeah frustrating for sure.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Contact DR customer service. I also meet similar issue on a set fresh from pack Dunlop SBN while I make setup on my buddy bass.

Defective rattle string possible happend during factory process before packing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    tindrum and Jackcrow like this.
  7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Strings twist themselves as they wind. Same as everything else that you loop into a circle. Loosen it enough to pull it out of the saddle, and let it straighten itself out.

Although, I don't hear anything at all wrong in the video. Sounds clean and clear, except for you beating the string against your frets.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

these days: i turn/tighten with my left hand while i hold and tug the ball end with my right, and i can feel the string turn/rotate in the process, so i assume i'm not getting any twists, except maybe the last bit that actually seats the ball and brings the string up to pitch. i'm not having string twisting problems with that method. i don't cut the strings (i'm using the whole string), but i don't think that preference has any anti-twist advantage in and of itself.

also: i wonder if round core strings have less twisting issues than hex core strings, in general...more forgiving maybe (?). e.g., historically, i've had more twist issues with my roto66 sets than say, my TI jazz rounds.

9. sounds to me like the action might be a little too low for Hi Beams. Hi Beams are more flexible strings, so they will vibrate further and hit the frets and rattle more unless you raise the action a bit. For lower action the lo-riders are stiffer (less flexible) and don't rattle against the frets nearly as much, even if you play hard.

I play VERY hard... and have returned to lo-riders on certain basses for that reason.

UPDATE: I listened again... I don't hear anything wrong in the video. They are flexible strings, you are plucking fairly hard... that is what happens.

imho

tindrum likes this.
  10. MudHead

MudHead

Feb 17, 2022
    Have you tried slacking the strings completely to see if they will re-settle properly? Maybe restack your windings at your tuners? Jiggle the saddles/ball end? strange that it's every string... I always double check user error before throwing money at problems.

I moved from DRs to D'addario prosteels. Prosteels are cheaper, and the only 3 bass strings I ever broke were DRs... But I played them for years. Considered myself to be brand loyal for over a decade, not so much anymore, but prosteels have that steel string tone if that's what you're looking for.

tindrum, David McIntire and Jackcrow like this.
  11. Jackcrow

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    Yeah I slacked the string and re-tensioned it. Didn’t seem to make a difference. I’m sure it’s user error I just can’t figure out what it is. I dont know maybe it just makes that noise and I’ve never noticed?

I do have prosteels on my P Bass and I don’t hate them. They are definitely a lot stiffer than the DR’s but they sound pretty good. I’ve had pretty good luck with Rotosounds too.

12. MudHead

MudHead

Feb 17, 2022
    I have had tuners rattle before, I've heard of trus rods being loose inside the neck and vibrating before. Are all your hardware screws, nuts, neckbolts, strap locks tight? Is there a loose nut under the strap?:laugh::roflmao::smug:

13. Jackcrow

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    Haha, yeah I’ve had tuners and truss rods rattle before but this is definitely coming from the string.

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Is your nut cut too low? It was quick so I couldn't tell for certain, but it looked like the first fret was very close to the strings.

Killing Floor likes this.
  15. Jackcrow

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    No I checked that too

RichSnyder likes this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    First thing I thought of. Check the angle on the bridge too. Once in a while if the tension is low enough a saddle can rattle.

If all else fails you can get 2 4X12 cabs and dime it and make the walls rattle instead. Good luck.

tindrum and Jackcrow like this.
  17. David McIntire

David McIntire

Apr 5, 2020
    Earth
    I've had 1000 mysterious rattles on basses show up for 1000 different reasons. It's never been a string itself that did it, tho. But here are some causes that I've found...

Active bass' battery in its own compartment, or, under the controls of a typical J or P bass. I use electrical tape and foam around my battery, and a folded card to fill extra space around a battery.

Loose truss rod nut

Loose strap buttons or locks

Loose pickups, pickup screws, pickup springs.

Bridge saddle springs rubbing on the string. Loose bridge saddle screws. Bridge saddle height adjustment screws not being seated on the bridge, as in, one makes contact the other does not. Also, Bridge saddles rubbing, vibrating, under the string, each other.

Bad tuning peg. Loose tuner screws, a tuning key not being tight, Drop D tuner not setup correctly, a lotta things to rattle on tuners, including bushings.

Loose pots or lock washers under knobs. Loose knobs. Loose input jack nut, or interior lock washer.

Loose neck screw/bolt. Loose control cavity screws. Control cavity cover. Battery cover.

String retainers on headstock. Attached badges of any type.

In each of these, and many more, I had to pluck a string at the frequency it caused the rattle, then hurry and grab or otherwise secure the part I believed to be rattling. My most recent puzzle was a HUGE rattle from an old Stingray 5 that myself and anyone near could hear, and swore it was something in the bridge. I tried tons. Finally, in desperation I grabbed the tuning peg furthest from the bridge. The rattle stopped. I was incredulous. We bought a new tuner, the issue disappeared. My own main bass suffers a rattle from the 2 batteries in it's 18v circuit rattling together in the battery compartment. I put tape around the batteries. And fold a card at their ends.

In the end, ya gotta try everything. Cuz it really could, in my experience, be anything...

Jackcrow likes this.
  18. MudHead

MudHead

Feb 17, 2022
    So... What did we conclude?

19. Jackcrow

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    Never found the issue. Still doing it. Probably just end up changing strings.

20. MudHead

MudHead

Feb 17, 2022
    Any old strings laying around to test and see if you need to throw away the strings or just burn the bass?

Jackcrow likes this.