DR Nickel LowRiders?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lo-freq, Oct 31, 2004.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I did a search and couldn't find anything on these.

Has anyone tried them and if so, what do you think?

[Edit: I searched using different spellings and found some stuff here on them.]

If anyone wants to add something new and updated regarding these strings that would be cool.

I'm ordering a couple of sets of strings and was thinking about ordering one Nickel Lo-Rider set and one SunBeam set.

The main thing I like about the Lo-Riders is the tension.

Are the Nickel Lo-Riders as punchy as the SS Lo-Riders?

How is the tension with the 5 string Sunbeams?

What is the midrange difference amoung the two Lo-'s and the Sun's?
  2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm bumping this because I made some changes to the title and original post after some more searching.

Any new input would be appreciated.
  3. bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    hello. i have been using the Nickel Lo-Riders with 4 string basses for some time now and i think they are the best roundwound strings i have ever tried. they are punchy, they are smooth, full of harmonics and they last long.

by the way, i hope some day DR designs a flatwound and a picollo sets of strings. :cool:
  4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Nickel LR's are my favorite RW string. Punchy, very articulate. I like my LR's after a few weeks, nice and mellowed out...by that time, they are just right, deep, punchy, and not ringy. In fact I put a small chunk of foam under the strings at the bridge to lessen the sustain. But the LR's still maintain a very nice range, with depth and articulation.
  5. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Has anyone tried the nickel Lo-Riders and D'Addario XL's? Any difference?
  6. I've always wanted to try some but nobody ever has them in stock.....
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I can have a local dealer order you a set pretty cheap if you don't mind waiting 2 or 3 weeks. PM or email me if interested.
  8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    whats the matter with online ordering? I don't understand why people say they can't get strings. Any string is available. Juststrings.com and many others will ship out almost immediately.
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I like Stainless Steel LR's.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I do too.

I'm just curious to see how the NickLR's sound with my SR5.

Also, thanks everybody for the feedback!
  11. If you try them, be sure to post how you like them... Thanks :)
  12. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Im wondering the same thing, in the last few weeks Ive tried the SS Hi, SS Low, Fat Beams and have a set of Nickel Low's shipping right now.

I like the punch of the SS Low Riders over the Highbeams but there is a harshness to the midrange that Im not sure about yet and they have some finger drag.

Only problem is DR doesnt make any nickel strings in 110 or 90s which I need for Drop C# which means I may have to settle for 50-110 Hi Beams to get the feel I want too. I had a set of 45-105 Hi's on before and they had a smoother feel to me but didnt have the tension/punch i want.
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I like the punch of the SS LR's (as well) and the tight low end.
    I don't have a problem with their midrange, but then my current set has been on my bass since before I upgraded my rig (probably close to two years).
    A new set might be another story.

My action is set pretty low, so I like the tension as well.

The feel really surprised me when I first got them.
    I was used to EB Slinky's that came on the SR5 (I bought a second set as well).
    They weren't nearly as smooth feeling as I was expecting.
    It didn't take me too long to get used to them though.

I'm hoping the Nickel LR's will be better in the feel dept.
    Anyone used both SS & Nickel LR's care to comment on their feel (not tension-wise, just how easy they are respectively on the fingers)?
  14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The set of Nickle LR's finally came in a couple of days ago.
    I ordered a custom set with a 130 'B' and then the Med 4 stringer set (105, 85, 65, 45).
    I had an audition with a different band night before last and didn't want to rock the boat in the tone dept (plus I didn't know how long they would take to settle in pitch-wise).
    I put the new set on yesterday morning and they sound really nice -- good low end, great punch, not quite as bright as the SS LR's, but a very sweet crispness to them -- good overall balance to them. The tension is better than I remembered, especially the 'B' string.

My next practice isn't until next Wed. so I have to wait to see how well they sit in the mix, but they have to be a BIG improvement over my old set.

It had been way too long since I changed strings. I really have to start buying at least 2 or 3 sets a year (maybe 4, we'll see how well these hold up).

If the 'B' cuts through OK with a band, I think I will like these better than the SS LR's, especially if they hold up well in the crispness dept.

I'll probably post an update after a couple of jams.
  15. Thanks for the lo-freq lo-down on the lo-riders :D (...sorry) I want to try these strings at some point. Sounds like they're the ticket for a mellow yet punchy Stingray sound.
    For now I just have to take advantage of the fact that it seems like I consistently like a particular type of string: Blue Steels. I never liked a string so much, that I would buy more than one set, and now I'm on my 5th set with these. They're alot like ss LR's but warmer and has a very nice upper midrange and hi-end sheen.

Post an update when you know how the nickel LRs hold up in the long run.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Curious; how often do you replace your Blue Steels?
  17. I tend to change strings every 2 or 3 weeks. When I take a set of I soak them in alcohol overnight and reuse them later on. This way I go through 3-4 sets a year. But I haven't really gotten into this rhythm yet because I've tried so many different strings. I would allways change to another set to get a different sound before the set that was on was worn out. I like a bright sound, so with the alcohol trick I get 3-4 months out of every set. Actually I think I like the strings the best after they've been soaked once. Still very bright (no serioulsy fretmarks yet) but broken in feel wise.

The 5 sets of Blue Steels are orders. I'm only on my 2nd set since august (with the 1st still taking turns), so I've one new set waiting and two on order. I'm taking advantage of having a friend staying in the US untill x-mas. Order online but have them shipped to him so he brings them home. That way I get strings for at least half the price of what they cost here in Denmark ;)
  18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Which alcohol works better to soak them in?
    Wood (100%)
    18 yr. old Scotch :rolleyes:
  19. I use denaturated ethanol. It's 93%. Works fine, just don't leave the strings in it for days. But I guess anything with a high percentage of alcohol is usable.
  20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'll try it, thanks!