Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Strings for Slap?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rapido, Aug 11, 2005.

1. rapido

rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    I want to buy DR strings. i play slap. Are they best possible strings for slap does anyone know?
    What is better Sunbams or Lo-riders?
    I know that Sunbams are Nickel Plated Round Core and Lo-riders are Stainless Steel Hex Core strings. On DR page (http://www.drstrings.com/LoRider1.htm) they say that Lo-riders are for slap, pop and tapping. But many people here on Talkbass said that Sunbeams are the best, but what is better for slap steel or nickel?
    One more thing is it ok to buy Sansamp Programmable bass di driver
    as a preamp-for slap bass?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wrong thread, wrong forum.

3. I don't slap but I use both the Low Rider Steels and the Sunbeam nickels on the same bass, depending on my mood. The Low Riders seem more appropriate for slap because they have a more pronounced high end than the sunbeams. The Low riders are also stiffer due to their hex core which seems to lend themselves to slap. The Sunbeams are great in the midrange and seems more appropriate for sliding and bending notes.

4. DR's stainless steel strings are great for slap. I'd choose the Lo-Riders over the Sunbeams since steel tends to have more definition and clarity than nickel. I love DR strings, you can't go wrong with em.

I have a Sansamp and while it's good at warming up my tone, I don't really use it for slap. I like a clean signal when I slap.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use the steel lo riders as well and like them.

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Hi Beams are better. Low beams have a hex core and are stiff. Also try Dean Markley Blue Steels, I actually prefer them to the DR's and they are much easier to string.

7. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    DR High Beams (45-105) are the strings I use.

They have a killer natural tone without an amp and they slap nicely through my rig (Ampeg SVT 3 Pro with Classic 8x10 cab), even with most of the highs cut.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    HI-BEAMS all the way! These are simply amazing. I never tried any other DR strings because I loved these so much.

Joe

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use Fat Beams on several basses and they sound phenomenal on them. Lots of punch even when slapped. Tons of growl.

10. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I'm currently using Hi-Beams .45-.100. I don't do much slapping anymore, but they excel at it. I've loved DR since I first put a set on my Squier, and they have yet to fail me.

11. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    I've tried every type of DR string for bass and guitar... I seriously love them all.

12. +1 Fat Beams are excellent.

13. I would just like to say that RAPIDO has been hijacking numerous threads asking the same question over and over and being extremely rude to the posters trying to post to the original questions. He even ended up on the sticky in Marty O'Brien's corner asking about strings. This guy is extremely rude and bad for Talkbass. He needs to be shut down!