DR Strings Reviews Needed!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGod, Mar 17, 2005.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    So my bass is in need of some new strings. Funds are tight right now, so I have to carefully choose between the following two types of DR strings. I have narrowed my choices down to the Nickel Lo-Riders, and Bootzillas. If anyone good give a review of either string, that would help me decide. And if it helps, I play mostly punk/metal music. Thanks. :)

Graeme :bassist:
  2. I play with nickel lo-riders and LOVE them. They are articulate, but don't sound quite as zingy as steel lo-riders. You can't go wrong with lo-riders unless you can't handle the the stiffer feel that they have because of their hex-core.
  3. Yeah, Nickel Lo Rider is the choice for you
  4. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    I prefer the steel strings for how bright and crisp they are.
    I do a lot of tapping, and I love that "piano" tone.

I would use D'Addario Pro Steels but I like the way the DR's feel better, because of D'Addario's use of the hex core they make for a really rough string.

If you don't like that Super Bright "piano" tone definately go with the nickle's, there's no masking the brightness of the steels.
  5. the DR lo-riders use a Hex core too
  6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Here are my two cents

DR SS/ NS low riders, application= Modulus Q5
    Review, of all the DR strings I have used on my Modulus these strings give me the best sound out of all in the DR family. I am able to dial in aggresive mids, low mids and lows while it is fairly easy to control the highs. They are not as bright and brittle sounding as the High beams or the Bootzillas, there is still ample highs however. The tension seems to be the biggest thing, they feel a little stiffer than most other strings and that is something to be considered if you have broken your fingers as many times as I have, the NS are a little warmer and more forgiving then the SS. I would describe the sound as biting and brutal, they have an aggresive character that sounds mean, perfect for punk, funk, and slap. They don't ring out as long as most strings, but on a Modulus that is still a long time.

DR Bootzillas, application= Modulus Q5
    Review, I have to say that these strings are a big disapointment to me, maybe they would sound better on a different bass but here it is anyway. They have plenty of highs with difficulty dialing in the mids where I like them, the low mids were also amiss as well, however the extreme lows were nice and smooth, these would go well with the smiley face style of eq. I don't care for the texture of the special coating that seems to pick up all the dirt that touches it, while protecting the strings. Also, this may sound funny, but they smell.
  7. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005

They smell 'cause they's gots the funk baked right in!