Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dragonetti Keys & Tunings

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Illfavor, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    I'm not sure if this goes in the Music Theory section or what, so I'm sorry if I'm mistaken. I'm new :help:

I was wondering about the actual differences in the Dragonetti Concerto in A Major and the one in G Major. I have a copy of the music and it says it's in A Major, yet the key signature is in G. I have an audition this summer for a Solo competition (to play with an orchestra) and the edition they told me to buy, from Luck's Music Library, says the version to be played with Orchestra is in G, yet the solo version I have for piano is in G as well, though it says it's in A. I'm quite confused. Are there two different versions of the Concerto, or is there no actual version with a A Major key signature?(which would suprise me.)

Also, the solo version I have has this "tuning" bar with a, descending: Top line A, then an E, then a B, then a low F-sharp. I have absolutely no idea what this bar means. Any explanations will be appreciated.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You have a transposed part for solo tuning. Get some solo strings, tune them up a step (solo tuning) and then play in G. Everybody else plays in A.

3. Shmelbee

Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Correct me if I'm wrong...

It says its in A major. Now, at the beginning, it has a bar where it says "tuning" and shows whole notes on top line A, E, B, and F# respectively. The bass part is written in G and the piano is written in A. This is because A is the sounding key once you have tuned your bass up a whole step, and finger everything as if it were in G...get it? I think its easier, with all the harmonics laying just right on the piece, if you would just tune up the strings

Hard to explain, i know. Maybe International just thinks bass players are stupid.

4. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    This sounds like a job for: your BASS TEACHER! And please don't tell us you're going to learn the Dragonetti and audition for a concerto competition without having a teacher...not recommended, unless you're like Francois Rabbath and have been such a successful autodidact that you end up being better than your teachers by the time you first get around to having a lesson.

5. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    No, I actually posed this question during my Srping Break, when I was out of touch with my teacher. I had just gotten the music and I didn't want to wait a week to find out, so I asked here.