1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dream Alembics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stickk, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    If you could have a custom Alembic, what would it be? For me:

-Body: Stanley Clarke/ Mark King
    Wood: Zebrawood w/ Zebrawood laminate (so the wood wouldn't splinter)
    -Neck: Maple w/ an ebony fretboard, 25 frets, 8-string
    -Bridge: Kahler Tremolo
    -Electronics: 9-way control
    -Inlay: Dragon
    -LEDS: Red side dots
    -Scale: 32"

2. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    One that was light weight, and didnt neck dive. Possibly 33 inch scale. Mahog body with flame maple top and flame maple neck with bubinga stringers, ebony board, Hipshot Ultralite tuners, Series 2 electronics, and a flight case with built in humidifier. Ive actually got such a bass on hold right now, until I can pick it up. Well, minus the 33 inch scale, this one is a 32, but that is cool. I will have to replace the stock tuners for the Hipshots, and build a flight case. But the dream is within reach! : )

3. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    a rogue 5 string, flame maple top, maple/ebony/vermillion neck, blue leds, matching battery/truss covers etc

4. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Pretty much the one I own. Rogue 5 with mahogany body, zirocote top, purpleheart accents, 7 piece maple/purpleheart neck with ebony board and Red side LEDs.

5. A series II with the Mark King body shape, made of maple with a flamed maple top. I'd have a slice of Maccassar ebony in the middle of the body and ebony stringers in the neck, and Series II Anniversary electronics with the bridge pickup as close the bridge as it will go! 4 strings, 34" scale.

6. I'll settle for light and balanced.

7. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    You will have a hard time finding a light Alembic. But, every Rogue I have tried has been balanced...Even at 10.5 pounds, it does not really feel heavy. Even after playing it for a few hours.

8. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    5 string Explorer (or whatever they call that shape @ Alembic)

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    This one:

CIMG7946.

10. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    [​IMG]

11. I'd LOVE it if they offered a new updated design. After playing my CB and Rob Allens, I simply don't see the need for something heavy. Move the bridge back closer to the edge of the body, smaller headstock, lighter woods, etc.

12. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    That's why you go with an epic.

13. *sigh*

these basses are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO effin gorgeous.

if only I had $13,000 laying around i'd get me a Series I.

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Not necessarily true. The Alembic 4 string at the top in this picture weighs about 9, maybe 9.5 pounds and balances perfectly. Now the 5 string (which pretty much answers the op question for me) weighs about 13.5 and balances perfectly. It's a question of wood and other construction choices.

The 4 string has the Omega cutout (mass removed) and has a mahogany core and walnut top and back. It is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the 5 string that has coco bolo top and back (coco bolo is a very heavy wood) and has the extra hardware and larger headstock of a 5 string. The Point Body design adds mass on the tail end which helps counterbalance the extra mass of the headstock. I doubt it was intended for that, but in this case it works out that way.

HPIM2671.

Peace,

James

15. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    God, I effin' love Cocobolo

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Have you seen the Balance K designs? The one pmaraziti posted is an excellent example. Smaller, lighter, more contoured body than the classic Alembic shapes.

17. I never saw one on their site like that, although stuff like the omega cut kinda add the opposite of what I need. Great looking, but shorter horns make it tough for me to reach the first position. Something like my MB2s have a 12th position top horn and the bridge is pretty far back, which makes for something pretty light and balanced. From a left hand perspective, my 35" scale reach feels a lot less than most 34" scale basses and was about the same as my old 32" scale Fender Urge.

18. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    All of these things are available from them. You just have to choose the model you want with the options you like. Something like the Orion has a smaller body, headstock etc. Then choose lighter woods and away you go. If you choose something like a Series 1 with a mahogany body and cocobolo top..yes, it is going to be VERY heavy. My Rogue is a little over 10lbs. Which considering it has a mahogany body and zirocote top..it is not too heavy. Long story short, you can get just about anything from them...for a price. ;)

19. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I did a Google search, because I'm not really familiar with the Alembic models. Of all the ones I found, I like this one the best:

[​IMG]

20. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, the body shape is the Balanced K that was referred to earlier in this thread. I am not sure what electronics setup that is.. Way too many knobs for me! I took me long enough to get used to the ones on mine..it is here:

CIMG3231.