1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dream Rig of Doom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Apr 9, 2010.

1. So what rig would you have if you were packing in stadiums and European music fests? If money didn't matter, what kind of setup would you have?

I'm basing my rig purely on size alone, not sure how this would sound:

GK 2001RB
    GK Fusion 1050
    GK Neo 412 x2
    GK Neo 810
    GK Neo 115 x 2

I'd somehow set it up for 4 distinct tones: clean and crisp, bright and grindy, warm and round, and then overdriven and aggressive.

Of course, this is all but a dream to me right now. What about you guys?

2. KaizerWilhelm

KaizerWilhelm

Mar 11, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Two '70s Ampeg SVTs
    Two '90s Ampeg 610-HLFs

One for clean, one for effects. That is it. Oh, and miced. DI only for back up.

3. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hmmm... Rig of Doom? Well, the first amp Larry Hartke built Jaco is on display at the Sam Ash in Times Square...

Hartke hangs out there like 3 days a week... he's a bizarre, but totally lovable dude... ask him, and maybe he'll let you borrow it. That'd be a "Doomy" rig for sure... lol.

4. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    The one I'm building now:D. 2 1515/66 fearfuls, with a bddi deluxe and GK 2001rbp thru a ds-24, 3000 +1000w

5. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    are you going to the use the cabs as PA mains sometimes as well? Are those cabs voiced like a PA?

6. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    Two of these- http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=300&MId=2 (with tolex and grill)

Some cross-fired 4x10 JBL hasn't made yet with high-power drivers designed for supreme transient response and output down to 100hz

A dbx hybrid pre amp (also in my head) with a crossover, three channels for the high output (clean with transistor overdrive for some hair, tube grind, or tube madness)

dbx Compressor- http://www.dbxpro.com/266XL/index.php

dbx EQ- http://www.dbxpro.com/231/index.php

Two Crown CTs 3000's to discreetly drive the 18's, and two CTs 1200's to discreetly drive the 10's http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/cts.htm

One of the 10's mic'd with one of these- http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1159,pid,1159,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

DI from the "low" output on the Pre-Amp (100hz and down)

All from the Harman Product family. Sweeeeeeet.......

7. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    My favorite doom rig would be a bleeding midget with my bass plugged into him, screaming "RAPE! RAAAPE!!" into a mic everytime I touch the strings.

Plus, he would be able to carry the mic himself. Very important on tours to keep everything easily moveable.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Aguilar DB750
    Aguilar DB115 x 4
    DI to FOH

I'm 3 DB115s away from having this rig, but no realistic need to ever have a siutation where that rig would be required.

9. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    [​IMG] 12768. gratefulsound.

I'm not sure, but this might not be one-up-able. They actually had two of these so that while they were doing one show, the other could be set up (it took the 22 roadies a while to put together).

p.s. that's 22 roadies each not including guitar techs, etc.

10. end thread/

11. Sunn 300T & 2 2x15s

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Add a Berg NV412 to the rig I already haz!

(BB750+Berg NV610).

13. billy ayers

billy ayers

Feb 1, 2009
    colcifer!!!!
    my hero!!!

man o man, thanks a bunch for those pics..
    just when ya think there's not enough real Doom in the world..

... and, truth be told, they never matched that post-Wall power, no matter how much Healy & Cutler optimized the later specs..

a DOOM-Y ERA, indeed...

14. I really don't know - but it'd sure be fun to shop around for! :D

15. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    They have a flat response if built 3 way. I haven't commited to installing horns, they sound terrible with my rock tone. I like a 810 cabinet but with more bottom and slightly extended highs, with enough umph to force a gui**** with 3 stacks to turn down :smug:.

16. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That pic was unbelievable. I'm surprised those guys' guts didn't liquefy. Luckily those days are gone. Everything's out front now. So I'd pick something just loud enough to hear on stage and no more, so as not to compete with (and cause phase problems with) the mains. The guys behind the board have enough going on already without my rig fighting them.

17. Electric Master Volume unit
    Electric Power Unit
    Electric 6x12
    Electric 2x15
    Electric 8x10

18. would most likely sound like crap because frequency is a continuous value and not set steps, but ive always thought about how awesome it'd be to have a separate speaker/ enclosure set up for each frequency, with the perfect box size for that certain frequency response. you'd end up with infinite cabs, cables, amps and budget, sound from an atari and not much volume.... but major kudos.

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
  20. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    2 emperor 4x12s
    2 emperor 1x18s

2 ampeg svt classics