Dreamachine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by eutgard, May 9, 2012.

1. The dreamachine (or dream machine) is a stroboscopic flicker device that produces visual stimuli. Artist Brion Gysin and William S. Burroughs's "systems adviser" Ian Sommerville created the dreamachine after reading William Grey Walter's book, The Living Brain.

A dreamachine is "viewed" with the eyes closed: the pulsating light stimulates the optical nerve and alters the brain's electrical oscillations. The user experiences increasingly bright, complex patterns of color behind their closed eyelids. The patterns become shapes and symbols, swirling around, until the user feels surrounded by colors. It is claimed that using a dreamachine allows one to enter a hypnagogic state. This experience may sometimes be quite intense, but to escape from it, one needs only to open one's eyes.

From Wikipedia

You can try this online.

http://www.netliberty.net/dreamachine.html

Author's note on the link.

This can cause Photosensitive epilepsy in some people, depending on the frequency chosen.

And... it WORKED for me :hyper:

2. "Worked" meaning what?

3. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    This sounds like what happens when you shut your eyes really tight.

4. That's what I was thinking. I am not quite sure what the ideal effect was supposed to be from this.

To be honest, I thought it may end up being one of those things where you wait 10 seconds and something loud and scary comes up. All that was missing was an instruction to "turn up your speakers" :p

5. They are called phosphenes.

6. This seems like it'd be paired well with the thread about getting mellow.

7. No need to worry about shocking image/sound.

You should look at the monitor with eyes CLOSED.

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Interesting very similar to Binaural beats which is a better way to have a effect for lower frequency brainwaves. With either brainwave synchronization by audio which needs to be stereo. Or flashing light through the eyelids.

Related to the brain machine which was blinking lights on a set of glasses. I believe the effects can be faster with the eyes, but it still takes over 20 to 30mins to have any effect on the brain, and then another 20 or so of exposure. It does work. crazy story behind the inventor who I believe went insane.
    not the link you posted, darn I forget his name think he got popular in the 90's when you could buy the glasses

Anyhoo very interesting I love Binaural Beats
    and its introduction to basic Brain wave frequency and what they do and how they make us feel.

You know I feel sorta silly now somehow I never caught the dream machine. and thought of getting the effect with a spinning filter.

I forget what we feel in Alpha Waves but I have been wanting to make a animated night light lately and this is the perfect thing.
    and they say its in the Alpha range

better yet have the lights and brain wave synced music and you would get locked in pretty quick.

A old audio editor called Cool Edit pro had brainwave synchronization. Made a few ambient recordings just to disguise my interest in Binaural Beats.
    I would make hour or so songs and brainwave synchronize all of them. Had about 36hours of music at one point.

soft sleepy music basically best time to do it laying down in bed before sleep. But it must be a good stereo field so headphones work best. or in my case I kept the speakers close to my ears.

It works because our brain developed a way to determine directionality of low frequency sounds. And because of the distance between our ears and shape of the skull. I believe it is around 300hz are ears have a hard time determining direction of sound. Most likely as small mammals to determine direction of approaching prey.....something like that.

Anyways who cares right...well our ears cant hear below 30hz very well and brainwaves starting around 18hz I believe it is impossible to hear brainwaves.

But if you vary 2 different sources slightly out of pitch or phase. our brains can hear the beat frequency from the 2 out of phase signals. So if you do it at the right audible frequency your brain can hear low frequency brainwaves. And it has been found that brain chemistry can change if exposed to Binaural Beats for extended periods of time. Plus you can vary to different states of the brain...forget them all Alpha Theta Beta Delta. some make you feel nervous excited sleepy etc etc.
    So I had many songs in just one state. or do a slow downward spiral over 3 hours, but again to have a good effect needed a good 45 minutes for each state

ok getting long good stuff.......

9. There has been a commercial product that does sound/light sync.

It's called MC Square.

http://www.mcsquare.co.kr/MC_Intro/images/mc2_01.jpg

10. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Ever had the brain version of electroencephalogram (for heart) ? They plug some metal stuff to your head and tell you to close your eyes. You see all kinda stuff like you're on acid for half an hour.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021