Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dredgetone Angler?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Nov 1, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    anyone have any playing time on one of these?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    If I am not mistaken David Wilson has one and loves it.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    David Wilson, has one, loves it, more importantly, refuses to sell it to me. *grumble*

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    guilty on all counts. Only other people round here who have one are the mysteriously disappearing Mad Subwoofer, moosapotamus and (I think) mgmadian.

John Joseph keeps claiming he'll start making them again.

5. What does it sound like?

6. there is one for sale on sonicflux.com for like $125

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    And the last time that that site was updated was 2002.

8. oops.

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Also guilty... it's a very nice OD. Works especially well in front of a tube amp IMO. Not as grindy as a Bassdrive, a little 'smoother' and more focused than a Multidrive to my ears. Big bottom.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for John Joseph to resume making 'em. Great guy, lives about 30 minutes away... he actually repaired my old Eden VT.40 head about 5 years ago when he was doing amp repairs. Between work (he's at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory these days, doing interesting engineering work for particle physicists IIRC) and family the music-related stuff is on the back burner indefinitely AFAIK.

About once a year I call him up and ask (i.e. pester) if he's gonna resume pedal or amp stuff, but no dice...I lucked out on the Angler, found it used about a year and a half ago...

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    my favorite mild od pedal, mgmadian described it very nicely.

11. I think it's a nice sounding OD, too. But, "mild" is the key word, IMO. On my unit, the OD basically goes away when you turn the 'dredge' control below 12:00. I wish the 'dredge' control was useful over it's full range, and had the ability to get a bit more agressive.

But, this is one of the pedals that's actually forced me to re-evaluate my rig (previous post), and look to replace or augment my single 15" cab with something that is beter at reproducing good fuzz/OD/disto sounds. So, maybe take my comments with a grain of salt. :cool:

~ Charlie

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's actually a Dredge Overdrive... Angler has 3 knobs, Dredge Overdrive has just one.

13. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    OK, so I guess this begs the question: What current production pedal comes close to the Angler?

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah Dave share, what have you found so far compares to your Angler.

(I'm expecting an answer of: I haven't found anything that comes close to the angler hence why I still use the angler.)

These days I only seem to have gain pedal GAS so this thread isn't helping.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played with David's entire pedalboard and I can tell you that the Dredgetone Angler was probably my favorite pedal on the board, nice and subtle, I could really see myself leaving that one on all the time.

There ARE two versions out there, do all you guys have the bass version?

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I do

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven't found anything that comes close to the angler hence why I still use the angler.

:D

However, I have found that the Fulltone FatBoost at high gain settings can get in the ballpark.

18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    if anyone wants to sell theirs...I want to buy it :hyper:

19. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    Which version of the fatboost would be closest to the Angler. Any other newer pedals that could pull of this vibe? Angry Troll maybe?

20. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    You know they re-released the Angler right?