1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drop C# Tuning in 4string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by janmichaeltorio, Mar 30, 2015.

1. What is the advisable gauge for drop C# tuning? :D

2. My band downtunes to C# or Bb - I'd recommend at least a .110 gauge fourth string for C#, heavier if possible.

I used to use a 110-90-70-50 set but the fourth string was still lacking a little tension, so have now found a slightly heavier set with a 120 fourth string.

I know a couple of guys who downtune the same as me have taken to buying 5-string sets and ditching the highest string. A lot of manufacturers don't produce 4-string sets with anything over a .105!

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Heaviest strings possible IME or buy a 5er.

4. .110s a little loose for drop c#?? Or should i buy .115 or .120?

5. 5er is so expensive! (For me haha) :D gonna try dr ddt

6. Baird6869

That or something like .050 to .110 from most manufacturers should work fine.

I used to tune 1.5 steps down for a few songs every gig due to my singer not being able to do a few songs as recorded in E. Open E is a bit floppy but fine in the mix IME.

7. What brand of strings do you use??

8. For Drop C# (C# G# C# F#) I would say 115-85-65-45. However, I don't think there are many 115s lying around...

9. srvmojo

srvmojo

Aug 30, 2011
    Denver
    GHS Heavy Boomers have a 115 E strings

10. Orskeezio

Orskeezio

Oct 23, 2011
    Rome, NY
    I use a 5 string bass tuned UP to a "Drop C"! I use EB Super slinky .040 .060 .075 .095 .125. Works amazingly well.

11. Baird6869

That was a few years ago, but pretty sure they were Ernie Ball Slinkies.

12. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Standard B tuning doesnt work well for drop C.

13. Baird6869

Tunng up a semitone on a 5er or full step on for C# has worked for me and obviously that is what I was referring to.

AdamR likes this.